Build over agreement for 375mm surface water sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice.

I plan to construct a single storey extension at the rear of my property. I've requested the sewer map from severn trent and found out I have a 375mm sewer running under my existing garage, within 1 meter of the corner of the house and where i would like to build the extension.

I contacted severn trent initially to ask if a build over agreement would be a feasible option as I have seen on the forum and others that they have been granted on pipe work up to 525mm before. Severn trent said it was very unlikely to be agreed and any building should be 3m away from the pipe.

I have revised my plans but staying 3m away from the pipe makes creating the extension I would like impossible.

My questions are:

Why would agreements be given for larger pipes than 375mm if mine is refused?
Does the fact my garage is already over the pipe and the house is approx 1m away give me any sort of bargaining power with severn trent?

Also, I have contacted severn trent again to discuss the matter, they say I should get a CCTV survey done and accurately locate the pipe. But I dont want to waste money doing this if a refusal is inevitable.

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
One wonders why the term 'build-over agreement' even exists. How about you sue them for the difference in value of the property with and without the extension. Obviously, take legal advice first. ;)

Waterboard build over criteria varies from waterboard to waterboard, speaking with local designers or others familiar with applying for build overs in your area may reveal your waterboard true criteria but you will certainly need to establish a more acurate depth and position rather than rely on a waterboard map before you get much further.

Christ knows what Nakajo is going on about I think he must be on the sauce again tonight.

People can't change their waterboard - at least not without moving (and usually some considerable distance), and they can't choose to not have water. So, it shouldn't be down to the whim of individual waterboards to decide what is and isnt allowable. It's just wrong. Build over agreements exist, and waterboards should be obliged to accommodate them. I always like to start the day with a rant (and a hangover)

Sponsored Links
Water Board. Lol

You can challenge your supplier's policy and any decision you get regarding a build over.

The criteria is that your work does not damage the public sewer below it. That's it.

You can challenge any thing you like but whether you get anywhere or not is a whole other story. Is water suppliers better woods?

Thanks for your opinions guy, much appreciated.

I'm going to arrange a CCTV survey next week and go from there. Maybe another discussion with severn trent after the survey will prove more fruitful. Does anyone know if there is an appeal procedure if my application is declined or is it tough s**t?

Bring back spangles, 10 bob notes & Magpie (esp. Jenny Hanley)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back