Lead Rising Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help. We've just moved into an old property and found that the pipework bringing water into the property is lead. We have got the waterboard coming around in a week or so to do the relevent tests.

Having read around on the joys of lead poisoning, we'll be wanting to get this pipe replaced as soon as possible. ("Possible" being if, or when, we can afford it.)

So, that brings me to the question, anybody willing to have a stab at how much it will cost? I would say that the pipe is about 6/7 metres from the main stop tap to the stopcock under the sink.

Do we just get a plumber to do this or is it something that Severn Trent have to subcontract out? The pipe runs under the yard which is brick paved, would the plumber expect us to have done all the digging and brick removal in readiness for his arrival?

Thanks in advance,

AmyLouise
"The Money Pit"
Leamington Spa,
Warwickshire.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, don't know about the cost, however, I would guess from your location that you live in a relatively hard water area. If this is the case, then at least you can take heart in the fact that Hard water leaches out far less lead than soft water. :)

When I was at uni in brum we had soft water.

There are contracting plumbers who do the whole shabang except the final connection at the road end. He may be able to use a "mole" which goes sideways but it still needs a pit a meter long to be lowered into. Some don't like them because of surprises like electricity cables in funny places which dont take kindly to a mechanises rodent.

Cost - a few to several hundred including making good - well, making better anyway. Cheaper to buy a decent filter. Or just go mad like the rest of us.

Sponsored Links
AmyLouise said:
Having read around on the joys of lead poisoning, we'll be wanting to get this pipe replaced as soon as possible.
I shouldn't worry about it too much, you will find the internal of the lead pipe will be scaled by now so you shouldn't get lead poisoning.

Sorry - should have said that if yo have soft , lead-dissolving, nonpipe-liing water you'll be able to get a "lead free" replacement mains up to your boundary - so start by asking that. Most enlightened authorities are using the EU levels (10ppb I think) for plumbosolvency, which are much more stringent than the UK ones (50ppb I think), which will become the standard in a few years time. You could call Ofwat for advice.

If you want good showers etc in your house you may well want to take the opportunity of installing a fatter mains pipe anyway, especially if your pressure is below about 3 bar. Ask the WA about the pressure in your 'hood.

Thanks for everyone's advice ... you've calmed my panic. :)

We've got Severn Trent coming around on Friday to do the water checks. So here's hoping we don't need to do anything just yet. We certainly could do without the expense just yet.

Thanks again,

AmyLouise

PS Disappointed to know that my crap memory and slurred speech isn't due to the lead. ;)

Lead's a cumalative poison, so if you've just moved in don't worry, you won't go mad just yet. Yeah of course i'd get it replaced, but I wouldn't worry over much. A sensible precaution is to run some water off every morning from the kitchen tap (about a bowlful) before drinking any. i'm sure you'll be fine !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back