Sewage Pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Been doing some work on my house trying to fix things and do a complete redecoration job and while working in the kitchen I noticed a dripping from the main soil stack where the kitchen sink joins it. would anyone be able to advise how I go about fixing the leak or advise on the cost to fix it?

The leak looks like the pipe coming into the side of the stack and looks like someone has had a go at it before. This is right down the back of a cupboard so not noticed it untill i removed the panel below the cupboards.

Photo below of the leaking pipe, and im shocked at how dirty is is back there :eek:

PXL_20221201_195315164.jpg

Sponsored Links
First you need to clean that muck off to show us what has been done there

First you need to clean that muck off to show us what has been done there
Not a problem cleaned it up and got the compression nut lose, unfortunately what looked like a seal came out and part of the nut that looks like it holds the seal in that grove was buggered up and broken.

Not sure if I can just get a new compression nut and seal. The boss looks like it's a solvent wield one but not sure. Thought they had a strap on them. The mcalpine ones I've seen use a key but I can't feel any groves inside the boss for the tool to engage on.

PXL_20221201_222953199.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_001815249.jpg
    PXL_20221202_001815249.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20221201_222948539.jpg
    PXL_20221201_222948539.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 29
The boss can be solvent welded on

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The boss can be solvent welded on
That's what I thought and was my worry.

How would be the best way to fix this? The 40mm pipe coming into the boss was where it was dripping and I don't believe their was any seal in the nut itself. It was so lose it just slid out

So boss was solvent wielded on, after speaking to a plumber at my local plumbing centre he advised to cut out pipe and replace it. Did so and after a small redesign of the sink plumbing to fit it's all now leak free. Not a bad job to do once done, but I was crapping it cutting out that section.
PXL_20221202_211117693.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back