Bending pipe rather than fitting joints????

Hi. Getting back to the original question. If you have a crease in the pipe it will have weakened the pipe wall. Whether it's weak enough to leak is difficult to say but you will have reduced the internal cross section and so restricted the flow rate through the pipe. My advice would be to replace. The pipe creased because you attmped to bend it in too tight a radius. As someone earlier said moving the pipe a little along your knee and doing the bend in several smaller sections will prevent creasing as it creates a greater sweep on the bend.

Sponsored Links
Gasman77";p="1894978 said:
I'm with you Andy - why spend ages fannying around trying to get perfection when the customer doesn't really care , as long as it of a decent standard and does not leak, what's the problem? These are hard times gents, you need to use your head to earn money, rather than spend hours attaining perfection that only you care about.

Anyone who puts pics up is asking for a slating, cos this is the industry standard thing to do , sad as it is. And Kirkgas saying he'd insist on it being ripped out? are you having a laugh?[/quote]

i wouldnt be laughing if my firms name was on that job, and i would be raging if i was associated with leaving such shoddy work its all about standards gents, we will make our own over and above the regs, and to the comments about you not having time to fit good pipework, the pipework in the pic is basic and if you cant do it better than that first time and quickly then you need to become a career changer and leave my industry to the tradesmen, FFS my tradesmen would be turning in their grave if they thought the time and effort they had spent on me resulted in pipework like that, please telll me you are all able to do better than that pic

To be honest, if you can afford them get a pipe bender set, read up on offsets, and have a go. You can do a decent job with them, and as long as the benders have decent formers you will do fine.

i have a cracking pipe bending tutorial if anyone is interested, it has dimensions etc which make bending offsets etc right first time every time

Sponsored Links
Kirkgas, point taken on the standards front, you have a valid point. But as the OP said, we've hijacked his post!! I think all the plstring was attempting to show was that you can use fittings and pipe bending to achieve a tight fit....... yes his bends were creased, the 22mm pipework in the R.H. side were touching, there was a mishmash of plastic fittings and copper, different pipeclips, using yellow indicating handles on what one would assume is water pipes, etc., and the fact that you teach also comes into the equation, but there were many points made on speed too. To do a neat job, you must take your time no matter what standard you are IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back