Bending pipe rather than fitting joints????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a leak on the copper hot water pipe that runs inside the soil stack from the bathroom to the kitchen. I want to replace the pipe with a single run of copper pipe (no joints in the stack that could leak in the future) joining one end under the bathroom floorboards and the other end inside a kitchen cupboard. I am using an internal spring to bend the pipe. I've bent it 90 degrees and the internal side of the bend is really creased! I'm not bothered about appearance but is it weaked by doing this? If so then I'm defeating the object. Advice please before I progress. :confused: Cheers

Sponsored Links
id use elbows m8 soldererd as it tite too the wall and use pipe clips
as for the bend m8 well i use propper pipe benders for all maner of bends
never use a spring sorry too **** on your chips m8
go and get a 3m lenth of pipe and have a goo with it
sorry is it 15mm/22mm

p1.jpg

as yoy see you get a much titer bend if using end feeds

Cheers for the advise! It's 15mm pipe. By thye way, what do you make of the push fit copper connections (not seen them before until I bought the pipe at the weekend)

Sponsored Links
If you used a spring, and its creased, then your method wasn't right. See here for how to hold the pipe when bending

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/plumbing/bending-copper-pipe.html

The trick is to pull the ends of the pipe until the pipe bends a bit, then move the pipe sideways an inch, bend a bit more, then move the pipe back the other way, bend a bit more. Keep moving the pipe backwards and forwards slightly, and bend a small bit at a time, until you get to 90 degrees.

If you just place the pipe over your knee, and pull the whole 90 degrees without moving the pipe around so that the bend is concentrated in the same spot, then it will kink. :(

p1.jpg

as yoy see you get a much titer bend if using end feeds

im sorry to p**s on your chips, but if this the neat stuff i would hate to see the other stuff :eek: (unless im missing something from your post, if so i apologise) but if i inspected the pipework in the pic i would demand it was removed and tidied up

dont like ripping peoples work....but......not the best pipework by a long chalk! If you do 2 offsets or angles next to each other surely they should be perfectly symmetrical??

Terrible pipework in that photo,my cat could do better.

I would have crossed my pipes under the floor, also is that plastic fitting on a heating pipe work? hope its 1m from the boiler ;)

It makes a gas fitters iron pipework look like c-rap :mrgreen:

To quote, "Judge not, lest ye be judged........."
Everyone is an expert in bending and soldering copper pipe now, eh?

Good grief!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Why do so many people feel the need to slag off that pipework... So long as it meets regs and doesn't leak who give a flying f**k!!

And as for this comment "if i inspected the pipework in the pic i would demand it was removed and tidied up" get over yourself mate

I would rather be boiled alive in a vat of oil than put my name to that shoddy work :LOL:

Come on all you guys slagging this fellas work, there is nothing wrong with it at all.

You lot need to get a grip, how would you feel if you stuck this in and the custard said rip it out its crap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back