Sewer blocked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get permission for filling in our kitchen side return and in preparation I was looking at the drains which I know I will either need to get permission to build over or need to relocate.

I noticed that in the pipe above the drain run away where appears to be some kind of plastic item in the top. I wanted to check before pulling it too hard that it shouldn't be there.

I have attached a photo and would appreciate if anyone could give me their opinion/thoughts.

Cheers

200cqwk.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I thought it was a drinks bottle. Will remove it tonight once home.

Any idea what that top pipe is for?

Sponsored Links
Andy - Thanks very much.

Don't suppose you would know what the unknown pipe could potentially be? And would you class this as a private drain? I'm looking to get a build over agreement as the drain is in my side return and I am trying to work out what is what so I can get the documentation together.

Cheers

2cmm8ah.png

2yjwiu9.jpg

Looks like you have a blocked trap in that manhole. Below the outlet pipe there will be another with a U bend. Get a big glove and check if there is another bottle blocking it.

The top pipe will be a breather, does it bend upwards towards the surface?

Last edited:
The unknown one could be a neighbour. That would make anything down from the manhole shared.

The unknown one could be a neighbour. That would make anything down from the manhole shared.

Thanks 1990.

The unknown one is towards my kitchen and away from my neighbours property. I might put the washing machine on tonight and see if the kitchen drains into it. Is there any other tips to try and identify where it goes?

Turn all of your taps on and flush all the toilets to confirm all drain lines are yours.

Andy

Turn all of your taps on and flush all the toilets to confirm all drain lines are yours.

Andy

Turns out it is my kitchen waste. I put the washing machine on to a quick wash and turned the taps on and the water started flowing out the 'unknown' pipe down into the sewer.

Thanks for your help. I'll now be looking to workout the next steps in getting a build over agreement from Thames Water :)

I'll now be looking to workout the next steps in getting a build over agreement from Thames Water

From your description it's a private sewer - no interest from Thames and no need for a build-over agreement.

From your description it's a private sewer - no interest from Thames and no need for a build-over agreement.

I am hoping you are correct - but I am trying to determine that for sure.

Here is the side return that I want to extend into and I have highlighted this drain. What are the best ways for sealing this? Do I need to look into one of those double sealed manhole covers?

25gfiwz.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back