Sewer Pipe in property extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm new to this site and joined today after reading so many useful and very helpful replies from members regarding Building Regs (or lack of in my case).

I've recently purchased a small cottage (built in the 1890s) for me to live in after my recent divorce. I bought the property knowing that the single storey extension that was built to house the kitchen and downstairs bathroom had no planning permission but the seller agreed to provide indemnity insurance. I had the HomeBuyer's Report and the survey came back stating that the extension appeared to be structurally sound. The extension was built 31 years ago.
I have been stripping out the property myself as I'm having the extension altered internally and will be obtaining a Building Regs certificate for this work.

I pulled up the old laminate flooring in the downstairs bathroom yesterday to find a metal manhole cover in the middle of the concrete floor. The bathroom extension appears to have been built over a sewer pipe. I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what it do to rectify this. If I contact the local council or water utility company the indemnity insurance will be void, but feel that I should have the sewer pipe diverted from under the property to the outside as this will only create problems in the future if I was to sell it. How big a job would this be?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What needs to be rectified?

Buildings can be built over drains, and inspection chambers can be in buildings. The only criteria is that no smells are getting out.

31 years ago, there was a different regime regarding drains and sewers, so today's crtiteria will not have applied at that time, and there is no obligation to alter work to meet any of today's standards.

I had my extension built over the sewer, I didn't want a manhole in the new kitchen, so it was tiled over. Measurements & photos taken for future reference & inspection points not to far away. With todays cameras etc, I was happy to do it that way, rather than have an ugly manhole.
Moved now but all information was passed to new purchaser.

Sponsored Links
Installed properly, a smart, double-sealed, manhole cover with recess for floor finishes is almost invisible. You couldn't call it ugly.

Many thanks to Woody and everybody that replied.

Can anybody give me advise on future requests for Building Regs certificates. I am in the process off having a new staircase fitted and the bathroom and kitchen recited in the extension (that has no building regs). When the Council comes out to inspect the work what would happen if they pick up on the fact that the extension has no building regs and they see the manhole cover in the old bathroom? According to United Utilities they have no record of any building work covering the sewer pipes at my property. Would this complicate matters and could they insist on me putting things right in respect of the extension and drains?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back