Sewer Pipe repairs question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have had a look at some previous posts relating to my question. But they all seem slightly different circumstances to myself. Hopefully someone could assist me with a few questions to help m e on my way to DIYing.

Symptom
The neighbour from about 5 doors away appeared to inform me the drains were blocked "again" which was news to me as I have only lived here since christmas. Upon looking in manhole marked 1 it was full of waste and manhole 2 was empty. I rodded out all the pipe between the manhole and It all gushed out an through the system. The rate of fall is very shallow through my property and the waste seemd to move away slowly.

I put the plunger attachment on the rods once it was clear in the pipe to ream out all the nasties and fat etc. but it got stuck about a metre into manhole 2 towards manhole 1. It was suggested to me that the pipe may be jointed there and could of dropped or me damaged there.

Work carried out so far
So far I have cleared the earth from manhole 1 to 2 and the pipe appears to be a salt glaze 4 inch pipe with concrete on the top of it.

I intend bung the manhole 1 and then cut out the pipe between 1 and 2 and lay a six meter length of plastic pipe on shingle etc etc....

Questions I have

1. Once the pipe is removed and the new length fitted in place at the manhole. What would be the best way of fixing it to the manhole and sealing it. As I will need to unbung the manhole asafp after the job as there will be about 25 houses worth of poo and bathwater backing up. The pits are concrete in the bottom where the pipes connect and red brick construction up to the manhole.

2. Could this of been an insurance job. Although the donkey work is all but done now. And am I really responsible for the upkeep of this pipe as all my streets waste uses it.

24797_396613418382_647333382_4887156_479963_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for the afvice.

I already got a quote from a local bloke to sort it for £375+VAT. Which I thought was a bit steep as I done all the donkey work already....

Regards,

Rob[/b]

Sponsored Links
Surely as this is a common sewer it is the responsibility of the water company even though it is on your property. That is how it works in this area.

Even if water company does not take responsibility it is unreasonable that you are taking responsibility alone as it services all the properties upstream.

I would approach water company before doing any further work.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give them a buzz tomorrow. Appart from a few hours digging and aquiring some pipe today havent done much yet.

I'll let you know what they say.

Rob

If your neighbour knows of this it has been an ongoing problem. If communal drain WA won't want to know. Only their prob after disconnecting MH. Speak to you neighbours and say had price to fix drains of £375 split between 25 is £15 each. If they refuse fk them if yours still works. Let it back up
:LOL:

Don't think ins would cover but you can try!

Sponsored Links
Ok I think I'm going to tackle this one on my own, So far I have done all the digging out. And I reckon once I fire up the disc cutter I should be cooking on gas.

So the question regarding once the old pipe is removed and the new pipe is bedded in should I use concrete to seal it into the manhole? Or is there something else that I will also need to do.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Good info there from Picasso. Hopefully you will be able to remove the concrete leaving the salt glazed intact to get a joint on it. I wouldn't attempt to try and make a joint inside the manhole unless absolutely essential. The joint needs to be perfectly smooth, otherwise rubbish will catch, build up and cause another (frequent) blockage.... Also the concrete needs time to go off, you wont be able to let water through until it has, and with 25 properties upstream that will be a lot of water....

At least with the Fernco joints you can use the pipe soon as its laid and jointed. Id bung it whilst you work, but tie a rope securely to the bung. Pull the rope to remove the bung so you dont get in the way when it all lets go.....

On a legal note, technically all those who use the drain are responsible for its maintainance. (If the problem was next door, upstream, then your neighbour at all those upstream would be liable, but not you as you dont use the drain at that point.) Environmental Health at the Council can sometimes get involved if agreement cannot be reached, they have the power to serve notice, get the the work done and bill all concerned properties accordingly. It doesnt become the Water Authorities concern until it joins their main in the road unless.....

If the properties were built prior to October 1937, then the Public Health Act comes into play. Any shared drain laid before 10/1937 is the responsibility of the Water Authority. As said though, if you've done the donkey work and are able to fix the problem, then your neighbours are lucky and have got away lightly without a big bill....

"but tie a rope securely to the bung. Pull the rope to remove the bung so you dont get in the way when it all lets go..... "

Too true, when I excavated my father-in-laws garden to sort a similar problem I broke off the cracked section with a spade while digging and what can only be described as a turd python erupted from it, propelled by a god knows how much water, just be careful!

Be careful with the pipe when cutting/removing, they are extremely brittle!

Do you know what the drains are made of? If 'pitch fibre pipe' it is well known for collapsing and causing blockages.

In 2011 the responsibilty for shared drains (or parts of) falls to the drainage company. Can you wait until next year and then get them to fix it? This was discussed on either this or another DIYNOT forum recently.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214862

the pipe is salt glaze.

Now i have exposed it I want to get it sorted so I can fill in the hole.

Rob

Time to get the disc cutter going. 2 Fernco's, your pipe and some peagravel should see it sorted.

Cheers Tipper, that was news to me. Another excuse to whack the water bills up though.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back