Sewer Vent?

28 Oct 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

anyone know what this is - it’s made of cast iron?

There’s one at the boundary of a lot of properties in Aberdeen.(which all seem to have been built in the mid 1960s).

I think it might be a sewer vent but would like confirmation as we’re widening the opening to our driveway.



  • DE1CE515-9301-45BA-BA93-4C560581F18E.jpeg
    828.9 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
it's a ventilator, intended to allow fresh air to be drawn into the sewer.

Down my way there is usually a manhole cover nearby, but the vent is usually positioned where you will not trip over it, next to a fence or something.

I didn't know they were still being done in the 1960's
Money box, fill it with £1 coins.
Hi Andy - I suspect it would turn into a money pit if I did

Thanks JohnD, there is a manhole cover about 6 feet away....

Anyone know what’s the best way to bring it down to ground level? Was thinking of building a brick frame and putting a gully over the pipe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local