Sewerage tank service charge or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me know your thoughts on this one

Rented a house from council then Was transferred to a housing association.
Rent never had a separate service charge for emptying the Cess pit every 2 or 3 weeks for 20 plus years
I purchased the house and the solicitor pack doesn’t mention anything about charging for this service or anything saying I will be liable for any costs to repair replace ect. There are a few houses in the row that also use this and none of them have purchased.
As I haven’t been asked to pay a percentage or billed . Can the housing association now ask for money even if it was not stated in the terms and conditions when purchased .(freehold property)
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is quite common for social housing properties in rural areas to be connected to a private sewage treatment system be that a cess pit, septic tank or small treatment works. It is also normal that those properties sold under right to buy or subsequent private sales for the homeowner to pay a contribution towards the operation of the private sewage treatment equipment.
Are you sure your solicitor did not mention anything about the method of sewage disposal at the property? I would have expected the fact that the property is not connected to a public sewer to have been highlighted? Everyone has to pay for this, whether it is through your water rates to the local water company for the public sewers or a payment to contribute towards the use of a private treatment system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back