Sewing Machine (Brother) stitch type for heavy material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 year old Brother machine and making a boat cover out of a polyester material.

I am using the basic stitch to do this, but should another stitch be more appropriate ?

Sponsored Links
Make sure your using a polyester strong thread and not cotton

Thanks everyone. What I really want to know is what stitch type should I use on this machine?

Sponsored Links
Mrs C does something called 'cross stitching'. Like a sort of embroidery thing but it's making pictures of all manner of things. Over the years she has done Stags, Lioness & cub, cats, puppies, seal cubs and Harry Potter/Hogwart types such as House coats of arms a lot of other things. Her current project is a very large one called The Burrow, which is where the Weasly family lived. It comes as a blank canvas mesh which she first has to mark off into a grid of squares, 10 thread holes by 10. Then she has to 'plot' her first range of colours that she will be using. Based on an average of 200 stitches per night, plus plotting as she finishes each area, she is anticipating possibly taking up to 3 years to complete. When they are finished they do look superb. She turns the smaller ones into cushion covers or frames them to hang on walls. This latest one is destined to be hung in the breakfast room which is HP themed.

I asked my wife who has multiple Brother machines, I just agreed to her getting a £1500 embroidery machine…...
Mrs Mottie is a bit of a Sewing Bee and has been making her own clothes since the age of about 15. She taught Miss Mottie how to sew and Miss Mottie recently had one of her creations featured on 'sewoverit.com'. I think her machine came to about a fifth of what you paid. This is her current project - a fully lined, pocketed autumn coat. This is apparently just a dry run before she buys some 'proper' material. By 'proper' I think she means 'bloody expensive'!

D5931846-031A-4A2C-B25C-BFD61B757F39.jpeg

She’s been making her own clothes for years. As a joke Christmas Cracker present one year, I bought them a selection of labels to sew inside their creations that said "Handmade in the UK by Deborah/Stefanie". They always use them now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nice.

She is on holiday this week, spending it reorganizing the bedroom so she has a better layout.
I think we are considering bunk beds as she is taking over the bedroom now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back