Shaker Aamer, Guantanamo detainee.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If this guy is innocent it's an absolute disgrace that Labour and following governments seem to have done little to get him released.

Tony Blair said he told of his unease at his detainment and feelings on torture.

"Torture is counter productive in our fight against radical Islam"

Feck me, this coming from a war criminal, ffs.
Pot, kettle and black spring to mind.

Sponsored Links
On the BBC website article about Shaker Aamer,,,, " He has said he was in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan in 2001 to make a better life for his family." WHAT??? Who in this world goes to Taliban controlled Afghanistan to make a better life for his family? He's either lying through his teeth, or is in serious need of a stay at the local mental health unit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35085957

Sponsored Links
Despite what he may or may not have been doing there, the fact that he was taken and held for 14 years without charge nor trial is fundamentally wrong.

The US is quick to criticise other governments who imprison their own citizens in such a way, let alone snatch another country's citizen and hold him for such a disproportionate length of time.

You can have all these laws and legislation in place but really the government does what it wants. Mi5 deny having agents witnessing his torture in guantanamo of course. I believe him when he said he heard British agents and the fact he's not taking legal action speaks volumes. The fight probably left him years ago along with most of his mind.

the fact he's not taking legal action speaks volumes. .

Of course, if he won £millions in compensation, his benefits would stop immediately. Should be sent back to Saudi. As I said earlier, "Who goes to Taliban controlled Afghanistan", to make a better life for his family??

Apparently he received a million quid to keep his mouth shut.

As I said earlier, "Who goes to Taliban controlled Afghanistan", to make a better life for his family??

Obviously as guilty as sin. Who needs proof, clearly you don't. :rolleyes:

When the Americans marched in they paid bounty hunters to round up 'terrorists'. Now call me sceptical, but don't you think these bounty hunters might not have been paragons of virtue, and possibly, just possibly, rounded up anyone not local to make a quick buck. We know that some of these people were fighters/terrorists, and some were totally innocent.

"Aamer took his family to Afghanistan in 2001, where he was working for an Islamic charity when the U.S. invaded the country later that year. The Northern Alliance took him into custody in Jalalabad on 24 November 2001, and passed him to the Americans. The US routinely paid ransom for Arabs handed over to them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_Aamer#Family_and_personal_life

Interestingly the Islamists fight to destroy our way of life, which is based on freedom, equality and justice. I was under the impression that our values included innocent until proven quilty, and trial by jury, and not imprisonment and torture for 14 years without trial.

I was under the impression that our values included innocent until proven quilty, and trial by jury, and not imprisonment and torture for 14 years without trial.

You are somewhat mistaken. These are the values which we claim for ourselves, not the values we apply to others.

President Dubya Bush was quite clear on this. A person imprisoned by the US by US forces in a US military base who is not a US citizen, whether an adult or a minor, is not entitled to US military law, nor to US civil law, nor to international law, nor to the Geneva convention, nor to the convention on human rights.
This is why the US is entitled to arrest them without charge, imprison them without trial, drug them and transport them between countries, and torture them repeatedly.

Other opinions exist. The US Supreme Court subsequently ruled that they are entitled to the minimum requirements of Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, but not, for example, to trial before imprisonment.

There is a view that the large disparity in values applied by Western powers to their own citizens, and to inferior beings, has not won the West many new friends.

I was under the impression that our values included innocent until proven quilty, and trial by jury, and not imprisonment and torture for 14 years without trial.

You are somewhat mistaken. These are the values which we claim for ourselves, not the values we apply to others.

President Dubya Bush was quite clear on this. A person imprisoned by the US by US forces in a US military base who is not a US citizen, is not entitled to US military law, nor to US civil law, nor to international law, nor to the Geneva convention, nor to the convention on human rights.
This is why the US is entitled to arrest them without charge, imprison them without trial, drug them and transport them between countries, and torture them repeatedly.

Other opinions exist. The US Supreme Court subsequently ruled that they are entitled to the minimum requirements of Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, but not, for example, to trial before imprisonment.

There is a view that the large disparity in values applied by Western powers to their own citizens, and to inferior beings, has not won the West many new friends.

By 'our values' I was referring to Britain. We claim not to be complicit in torture, although Shaker would not agree with that. Guantanamo Bay is and was disgusting.

the fact he's not taking legal action speaks volumes. .

Of course, if he won £millions in compensation, his benefits would stop immediately. Should be sent back to Saudi. As I said earlier, "Who goes to Taliban controlled Afghanistan", to make a better life for his family??

That can only be speculated on. Perhaps it provides some solace for you to know that he probably wished he had been killed there instead, ...14 years making friends with insects and being repeatedly toturted.. how many times can you break a man ? Personally that sort of thing does nothing for me, robbing someone of life based on what they might have done? I mean we're moving into 'thought crime' territory here.

Sponsored Links
Back