Shall I do my own drainage ...?

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise that's what you meant

I’ve seen jobs (including those put on Facebook “look at our work”) where they’ve dropped a pipe in halfway up the chamber then a 90 bend, vertical pipe down the side and a shoe at the bottom aimed in the right direction along the line. Guessing that’s slightly better but still a no no? Or possibly no better at all.

Well, looks like I am going to be paying £600 for this job, a bit more than I hoped! But at least it'll be done and I can more on with the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Oh, probably a daft question ... the soil pipe will go straight through the wall. This is the toilet I picked up today.
So, centre of pipe needs to be 18.5cm from floor level, but how far out should it stick?

This loo:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-st...tr/848pt#product_additional_details_container

I've bought one of these pan connectors, which is 130mm long:
MCALPINE MACFIT MAC-1 WC STRAIGHT PAN CONNECTOR WHITE 90-112MM
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-macfit-mac-1-wc-straight-pan-connector-white-90-112mm/78806

I think this is the diagram (not from Screwfix website though)

8857e441ae.jpg

source: https://everydiy.uk/p/screwfix.com/6779J/Ideal-Standard-Della-Close-Coupled-Toilet-Dual-Flush-6Ltr

It needs to stick out from the wall 23mm PLUS a suitable length for the connector to connect to.
It may be best to have about 130mm projecting out so you can cut it to the correct length when you 'dry fit' the pedestal.

Don't forget to take your floor finish into account when deciding on the height - more so if you're overboarding with ply or having tiles.

Oh, probably a daft question
There are a multitude of ways to connect, some taking more effort than others.

You can either:
Tunnel through below ground and position the pipe directly beneath the loo exit (use a 90 degree pan conn').

Tunnel through below ground and bring a stub stack internally into a corner and tee off for the loo and fit a Durgo (AAV) on top. Good if other stuff needs going into the stack.

Bring a stub stack externally off-set from the loo and tee into it with a short external run and fit an external Durgo.

Bring the pipe up externally directly behind the loo and fit an 87 degree bend into the vertical.

Bring the pipe up directly behind the loo and tee off so you can continue the stack for a high level vent above.

Lots of options.

Don't forget to take your floor finish into account when deciding on the height - more so if you're overboarding with ply or having tiles.

Yeah, literally thinking about this right now. Plan is to just have 18mm chipboard with some ply (3mm) and vinyl sheet.

Although it should ideally be totally perfect ... if it was out by a fee mm, would it matter too much, and if it was going to be out by a bit, I assume better a bit lower rather than higher?

There are a multitude of ways to connect, some taking more effort than others.

You can either:
Tunnel through below ground and position the pipe directly beneath the loo exit (use a 90 degree pan conn').

Tunnel through below ground and bring a stub stack internally into a corner and tee off for the loo and fit a Durgo (AAV) on top. Good if other stuff needs going into the stack.

Bring a stub stack externally off-set from the loo and tee into it with a short external run and fit an external Durgo.

Bring the pipe up externally directly behind the loo and fit an 87 degree bend into the vertical.

Bring the pipe up directly behind the loo and tee off so you can continue the stack for a high level vent above.

Lots of options.

It's coming through the wall - my question was, how far out should the pipe stick from the wall? I have a 13cm pan connector and the toilet outlet is 13.5cm from the wall - so, how much of the toilet, and the pipe, goes into the pan connector? Does the toilet almost meet the pipe, with half the connector in the pipe, and almost half over the toilet outlet?

upload_2021-11-21_13-38-50.png

On my loo, the pipe is near flush to the wall and a flexible pan connector links to the loo.
In your case, surely the flexible connector deals with any mismatch is levels? Obviously is there is a mismatch, the exist from the loo should to be higher, so stuff flows down

I’ve seen jobs (including those put on Facebook “look at our work”) where they’ve dropped a pipe in halfway up the chamber then a 90 bend, vertical pipe down the side and a shoe at the bottom aimed in the right direction along the line. Guessing that’s slightly better but still a no no? Or possibly no better at all.

Known as a 'Backdrop' although most these days tend to be external, (of the chamber), rather than internal. Acceptable practice, provided the discharge point is set properly and the waste goes where it's supposed to and doesn't spatter all over the benching opposite. Also should have a junction at the top, (rather than a bend), to allow rodding access along the higher horizontal section from the chamber.

Right, done a small pilot hole in what I think is the correct place ....

Hole is 13.5cm above the level, which is 4.5cm above the top of plyboard, making 18cm total. There is some wiggle room with the connector as far as I can tell.

IMG_20211122_110347199.jpg

IMG_20211122_105523385.jpg

(just an approx position / sanity check)

IMG_20211122_111241511 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sorted. With vent / rodding access.
IMG_20211123_103529743.jpg

IMG_20211123_115804544_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211123_115649819_HDR.jpg

I'm saying nothing, other than "rest bend" and "how far away from the wall is that stack!"

But I'm no expert, see what building control say when they come to inspect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back