Shallow Angle Loft Ladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I spoke to the council and can't put a fixed staircase to my loft as fire regs mean new hallway needs to be built, so, looking for a low angle pull-down loft staircase/ladder...one that can be walked down facing forwards, not backing down the way you climb up...

The lowest angle pull-down I can find is 57degrees - can you walk down those? not sure as i've never tried one but just aiming at 42degrees as that's a known angle....

Anyone know of any in existance without having to have it built specially?

Thanks
P

Sponsored Links
as you increase the angle the structure has to increase in size quite dramaticly to take the extra weight a ladder at 1 in 4 is about 90% off the weight to the floor
1 in 1 is 50 % to the floor so needs to be 5 times stronger
thev size off the loft hatch will be about 4 time longer

You will need to get something made bespoke to your house, I have seen some on american sites but not over here.

Thanks big-all.
I don't think weight will be a problem as the ceiling joists are going to be increased to floor joists and I don't think any larger hatch will be needed than if we put in a straight run fixed staircase? Unless I'm misunderstanding you?
P

Sponsored Links
Thanks catlad, in the nicest possible way I hope you are mistaken...!
P

i would say not as you need at least a six inch wide tread to ballance on or a handrail both sides to hold on to
find out the tread depth put a book on bottom step off your stairs to replicate that and see how you get on ??

of course, i got so caught up with the angle, i completely forgot about considering the tread depth, hah!
...thanks again big-all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back