Shallow ceiling lights-- 80mm space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am refitting a bathroom and my client wants 5 downlights fitted. 5 lights have been supplied and they need 110mm space to fit. Upon drilling out the holes to accommodate lights we see we only have 80mm. At the moment changing the ceiling is not an option unless there is no other way. My client is a very nice lady and we are really trying hard to avoid extra costs for her. Is there a downlight that would fit this space. Ideally from Screwfix/toolstation if there is.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Puzzled why you would cut out the holes without checking the height issue?
What's the saying measure twice cut once.

Also not sure why you're asking us to check Screwfix and or Toolstation - you can do that yourself.

Most downlights come with minimum height and width restrictions - unless you are going to look a some expensive LED lights which might meet your criteria.

Five lights instead of one central surface mounted light perhaps tells a story that you or your client don't want to hear.

Search under low profile and you might find something - but as I said you will probably struggle to meet your height criteria.
Starter for ten:
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/b...g/aurora-low-profile-downlights.html?page=all

you also don't specify if they need to be fire rated or not. If they do, then you are definitely SOL for a standard downlighter and will definitely need an LED alternative

Sponsored Links
Another big problem:

Upon drilling out the holes to accommodate lights we see we only have 80mm. At the moment changing the ceiling is not an option unless there is no other way.
I'm sure I'm right in saying that there's a flat roof above that ceiling, in which case you need to find a way to seal the lights to stop warm moist air from the bathroom getting to the roof.

Will you be able to crawl into that 80mm gap to do that?

My client is a very nice lady and we are really trying hard to avoid extra costs for her.
Like a new roof when the existing one has rotted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back