Shared Flat Roof - Temporary Repair

OK well we had some water come in on Sunday night, I went up to see if I could work out where it had come from and I think it may have got in where the flashing is fixed to the wall.

I can see from looking round the roof that this area has been played with before as there is a mixture of some sort of silicon type sealant and also some mortar, in many places the mortar is cracked or lose and there does not seem to be enough space to redo the mortar such that there would be a good strong bond.

So I am thinking of using a long strip of the bitumen backed flashing along with an electric heat gun to put a strip of flashing over the joint all the way round the wall. See this picture for what I mean :D

148_4895_IMG_271104.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is a possibility that the lead is not done correctly in the joint, you won't be able to see but should have a U shape to prevent rain soaking past the edge of the lead into the internal wall. What you're doing is fine but I'm not keen on these flashband type which I do feel there are only good for short term method and can be unreliable against brickwork. You have 2 options, take out the lead and re-join it correctly or the cheapest & the easiest would be to paint it over with bitumen paint product. I believe there's a product for internal pond wall might be worth looking at or your Flexacryl might be suitable for brickwork, see what the instruction say on the tin.

Thanks Masona, I have just sent Laybond an email to see if the Flexacryl is suitable.

I was always suspicious of the bitumin backed flashing but I recently checked some work my Father did on his house about 10-15 years ago where he had used a strip of it down the side of his roof and the strip was very firmly attached and was still working very well.

Yes you're right and a lot depends on the weather temperature at the time. What I used to do is to leave the flashband in a airing cupboard to soften it up and heat the wall with the blowlamp ! I work in the bitumen department and bring my sample tests home and use that ;)

Sponsored Links
OK I have done about half of it with the flashing strip stuff, I kept it nice a warm inside and then used an electric paint removal gun on the roof to get it really soft and sticky while I pressed it down firmly, it seems to be pretty well stuck on. I used stuff that was about 10cm's wide, it might have been better if I had used some slightly wider but this covers the join OK.

If you really unlucky I might post some more pictures tomorrow !

OK another silly question?!
Will it matter if I leave the gravel off my roof for a few months? its winter now and the sun isnt very strong. I would like to leave it until its warmer and I can either replace the whole thing or repair any leaks I havnt managed to stop. At the moment it only has a small amount of gravel on it and thats the stuff that is stuck into the felt.

Also does anyone know how much gravel is? is it limestone chippings I should buy?

Thanks

wytco0 said:
Will it matter if I leave the gravel off my roof for a few months? its winter now and the sun isnt very strong.
No, that's okay.

All the gravel does is,

1, Break the rain into fine mist and not so noisy when the rain hit the roof.
2, Fire resistance.
3, Help to drain the rain water away depending on the thickness.
4, To protect the roof from sharp object.
5, Protect the sun heat from softening the bitumen.

Hi,

Not being funny our anything because i`m new to this site.

Whats the point in going to all this trouble when the roof is clearly seen its day and also the lead flashing.

If you tell me the measurements i will tell you how much it will cost u to re-place it with 3 layer Technitorch 2000 torch on felt .

Also would need to know if decking is ok.

Joining into next door is straight forward.

Hope i have nt upset u but why put off the inevatable
Thanks

I-Jackson, sorry for the very long delay yin replying !

Your right and I know the work will have to be done soon, I was trying to put it off for a year or so. So far the roof does not seem to be leaking but I want to replace it this summer or autumn.

The roof is approximately 4x10 meters.

wytco0, i sincerly hope I-jackson replies, he has only ever made 4 posts, and all of them were on the same day (Sat Dec 11, 2004 ) and his email address is not in his profile :cry:

Thanks Breezer, I had not noticed that ! its not too important as I willbe getting some estimates soon.

Does anyone know how lead flashings are replaced? to do them as they were done originally would entail taking down several courses of bricks (some of whic we recently rebuilt!) is there a better product that can be stuck to the wall avaiable these days?

Either coat it in Decothane, or overlay with felt. All other recommendations so far are bodges. Decothane has its own solar reflective, and a felt overlay with mineral finish means you can sling the chippings. Legally you can seal 200mm onto your neighbours property to obtain a seal. Your looking at about £800 for a felt overlay.

Does anyone know how lead flashings are replaced?

Use a termination bar....google it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back