shared surface water sewer - responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, for those who are not having a BBQ in the sun today -

After the thunderstorm last night I found our rainwater gulley and next door is flooding over and coming into the air bricks!
This is down on the water co maps as being a shared "surface water sewer" as it goes under next door's drive. I have drawn the gulleys in question in as blue splodges with their assumed path. A hose poked down hits something solid after a metre or two from either gulley, presumably a hidden elbow. 1920s houses, ours is the black edged one.
upload_2018-5-28_14-50-1.png
upload_2018-5-28_14-50-22.png

Would that be the water company?

I did call them and they were very vague, and said they didn't have any maps, but they said they'd call someone and get them to call me back. So it sounds pretty much like I'll have to persuade them!

Any clues would be very useful. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Well just to close this out they came by no issues and put a camera in, discovered the drains are silted up, then tried to jet it, gave up, and decided it was also silted across the road. Then they're going to let the head office deal with it (or not)

It should be pretty easy if they are jetting upstream from the manhole, they could catch the silt in the manhole channel, scoop it out then jet some more.

I'll be sure to update this thread if/when they solve it! The problem they had was their on van jetting machine wasn't powerful enough, so they need the lorry mounted machine! Should be coming in the next few days.

Sponsored Links
We had a similar issue on the estate where I live. The road and my garden slope to the house. I had a problem with water under the suspended floor. ( only a couple of mm in one area of 10 sq. M.) Then one time I noticed groundwater squirting into a foul manhole when it was raining. Later noticed water coming up through the joins in the concrete road. A neighbour beat me to acting. He moved in and saw the water through the road, and also found a hidden heavy manhole cover with water squirting out round the edges. He's higher up the road and opposite me. Long story short, the water co./council acted quickly and sorted it with a lorry jetter. So any problems witnessed will be acted on - because in our case, I'm sure if the road hadn't been concrete, we would have had a sinkhole. It's in their interest to act;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back