SHARPEN HANDSAW DO YOU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do any of you guys still sharpen your handsaw or do you buy cheap chukem saws. Seems a pity that most saws are chuckem when blunt saws. I have a disston 30years still going strong , not much blade left.

Sponsored Links
somewhere in my parents garden(probably rotted away now)is a saw stand purley for the purpose of sharpening saws,i only ever attempted to do this once with an old stanley saw when i first started out,then thought s.od this for a game of soldiers :LOL:
fair play to you keeping a dying art alive.

Find a tool hire shop & get them to sharpen them, they wont charge much.
If its a cheap saw then bin it.

For tennon saws and ones you want to keep then yeah good idea. I tend to use throw away ones. Irwin jacksaws.

Sponsored Links
I think that you would find it is not cheap to get a saw sharpened by a company ,that is why tradesmen and diy buy chuckem saws but it does take time and good eyesight to sharpen a saw to a good standard.

I still sharpen saws , although nowhere near as much as I used to, hardpoints have taken over to a large extent. I'm also lucky in that I don't have to pay for my hardpoint saws.
The saws I do still sharpen are tenon saws in the workshop and my half rip mainly for site work. I also have an old Disston that has been sharpened many many times leaving the end under 1" deep which is very useful for removal of things like floor boards where the minimum of damage can be done ( it's mainly historic buildings I work on).

Glad to see there are still some of us left Ladylola.

then you should have your staff stuffed and mounted, because most hire shops round our way dont have a clue which end to hold a saw let alone sharpen one!

Just one more to add to seediy's question if it isn't going too far from the topic-
How many of you sharpen drill bits?
I'm talking here of HSS and masonary bits. Many people simply use until blunt and then discard an otherwise perfectly good drill bit. On one job I collected around 40 1/2" sds bits that were simply chucked on the scaffold by the cladding company that were using them. They sharpened up and when straight to the car boot.

I have a disston 30years still going strong , not much blade left.
Me too, still got 4 disston handsaws since 34yrs ago, a lovely saw but I find it does tend to get blunt easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back