Sharpening and cleaning tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a note about episode 32 of gardener's world from last year where Month Don discussed his method for cleaning and sharpening tools.
He said that he first cleans them with wirewool and then he sharpens them with a file. After that he cleans them and coats them in camelia oil.
I would like to do this for a spade, and two pair of shears, but I'm pretty rubbish at sharpening blades and I don't want to cause irreversible problems.
There was no mention about the makeup of the metal he was sharpening and not all garden tools are made equal.
Does anyone have any tips and suggestions they would be willing to share ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Shears wise, its best to study the bevelled edge which needs to be sharp, and that slides along a flat edge that needs to be - well flat :whistle:
If the flat edge is notched, draw file gently along the flat surface without rocking the file until the notch has gone.
Study the angle of the beveled edge and again look for notches, gently filing them out......keeping the file flat as you don’t want a rounded edge.
Keep the centre pivot well oiled, and pretty tight if its adjustable......notice the blades slide across each other as you open and close them.
If you’re not happy with this, most garden cemtres have someone they recommend who will grind them for you.
Cleaning wise, wire wool if they are stainless and bright, emery cloth if they are rusty - like mine! Give them a coating of any oil you have.
Spade wise, things don’t have to be sharp but if you need to file things, work from the back side.
Be aware, tools like these are carbon steel as against mild steel and are harder, so any file will need to be sharp and won’t last too long! If any blades are really hard then its angle grinder time.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back