Sharpening multitool blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
There are some excellent tutorials on the subject of blade sharpening :

However, what if your blades are so blunt that there is no gullet ?

Some of my old and very mistreated multi tool blades are so blunt that there is nothing left of the teeth, and I cannot make enough of a key in the blade to run a file over it to remodel the teeth.

Is there anything I can do or are these throwaways ?

Sponsored Links
They are like Stanley blades , use and discard , though I keep a few smooth blades for scraping.

protect your new blades
cut to within a few mm off brick plaster or nails with your wood blades then finish with an old blade

They are so cheap these days, why on earth would anyone other than a professional Yorkshireman do this? :rolleyes:

I use a mixture of Japanese blades and bimetallic blades and I defy anyone to resharpen the Jap blades...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Time is too valuable to waste sharpening cheap blades.

Side grinding a cutting blade won't work all the time. I sometimes convert cream crackered blades into scrapers, but that's about all. Bulk packs of saw blades run you 80p to £t.20 a blade these days. To put that onto perspective, when Fein Multimasters appeared (mid to late 1990s) the blades were £3 to £10 a pop

Last edited by a moderator:
They are so cheap these days, why on earth would anyone other than a professional Yorkshireman do this? :rolleyes:

I use a mixture of Japanese blades and bimetallic blades and I defy anyone to resharpen the Jap blades...
As someone from the white rose county even I can't be arsed with sharpening multi tool blades.
Now let me practice the Yorkshire war cry HOW MUCH??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back