Sharpeninng mower blade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I said I'd sharpen a mower blade for a friend having never done it, knowing I had these for my dremel.

Video looked easy, blade doesn't look nice like the one in his video though! I mean it's a bit sharper than the rest of the metal but that's it

Any comments on dremel blade sharpener?

Sponsored Links
Personally I think the Dremel will be just about ok for finally honing the blade, but most of the blades I see are scarcely recognisable.
Therefore I reach for the trusty 112mm angle grinder, and attack it with that. Taking an equal amount of metal from each side of the blade keeps it in balance, more or less.
John :)

I've got a 450 deck John Deere contract mower & the blade can get into such a state I don’t think the Dremel gizmo would be much use. I also use my angle grinder to sharpen once a year but the blade tends to get out of balance after a couple of sharpens, I then get it sharpened & balanced by the local mower centre which makes a big difference; it’s been running the same blade for 6 years now.

Sponsored Links
I gave it back to the guy and he was quite happy with it since tapped a tree with it and the blade left a mark. I don't have a 112 grinder but I could just use a dremel grinding stone and no guide to take off some metal from the back too. How much would you recommend to leave as a thickness of metal art the blade edge? If I take too much off every little stone will just knick it again.

I use a 5" grinder too, with flap disc. Pull it along the ground edge of the bl
ade twice and is like new.
Even pressure and speed on both sides keeps it fairly well balanced.
Good enought for my grass cutting needs anyway :cool:

I use a bench grinder to sharpen mine

It's not the sharpening of a blade that is the problem, more to do with balancing.

I use a 5" grinder too, with flap disc. Pull it along the ground edge of the bl
ade twice and is like new.
Even pressure and speed on both sides keeps it fairly well balanced.
Good enought for my grass cutting needs anyway :cool:

Can you guys provide any links to good videos on youtube or wiki guides? I mean the guy is happy with what I've done but I'd like to be able to do it like a pro next time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back