Shatt al-Arab ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have stuck several boats aground in recent years - Some may argue at times, we have no 'kin idea where we are...

I know it isn't funny, but if you didn't :D you'd :cry:

Didn't you just know it?
Reading between the lines, a nod is as good as a wink...
Whose bleedin' map FFS, never mind sat position tis the accepted chart which tells the story.. If there is one !!

...Sir Alan said a commission would usually meet every two or three years to agree exactly where the median line should be.

"The commission is meant to sit regularly to discuss and arbitrate exactly where the median line down the Shatt al-Arab goes because it does move with the seasons and each year it moves in shifts because it's quite a flow of water," he said.

"The commission would consist of representatives, principally of Iran and Iraq, sitting around a table and deciding where the line would be. There are other people involved to mediate."

The commission had not met for a few years because of the war, he added...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6496559.stm
:D :D

Sponsored Links
*chart mate*, no arguments

SBS ... find em .....

dead or alive .......
*mainly target guys* .... !!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
admiralty chart mate, no arguments

Ah, must have been the one (chart) used by HMS Nottingham down in the Pacific Ocean off Australia's east coast 2003?

Not how one of HMS should return home. (at great expense).
_38564699_ship150.jpg

_38565189_notts300.jpg

Probably the same chart (cost cutting - probably the only bugger) used by HMS Trafalgar in 2002 sea bed ploughing off the north-west coast of Skye.
How can a sophisticated nuclear submarine run aground in this fashion?
The accident involving the Trafalgar is a remarkable occurrence given that she is a 'state of the art' vessel.
The submarine is fitted with a Kelvin Hughes Type 1007 navigation radar and also SIX separate sonar systems.
Trafalgar is also fitted with the Submarine Command System (SMCS) developed by the UK Company BAeSEMA, which features an integrated suite of tactical picture, weapon management and fire-control functions supported by oceanography, onboard training and navigation facilities...
All that has the value of a hill of beans when the boat crashes... I guess shit happens.

Surely our 'Iranian incident' people should not have been sent without chopper cover?

'Up the Shatt al-Arab, without a paddle..' That infamous creek we all know so well...
Aye up, here he is then "Ah har! cross me palm with WDM's - if you can find any"...
The bird says.. "Thought the anchor was on a chain..."

brookeslg_153455s.jpg

:(

charts are right just the idiots in charge on those occasions.

According to reports they had helicopter cover but it had to return for more fuel

Typical New Labour cover ... got a chopper, wrong place, wrong time, maybe wrong chart !

Admiralty don't supply Eyeran do they?
:D

The accident with "The Notty" was in 2002, the skipper had gone ashore for dinner, but the problem with Naval ships is taking on pilots, its just not the done thing.

empip said:
Typical New Labour cover ... got a chopper, wrong place, wrong time, maybe wrong chart !

Admiralty don't supply Eyeran do they?
:D

at least they had a chopper, which is more than most of our forces have under new labour

Nah, it's for slipping into the warm and wet of an evening.. isn't it?
:cool: Like the New Inn for example.... Our old NI was renamed something to do with the local airport... FFS :(

Ah yes .. 2002 Wolf Rock ......2003 back home.
This is a good shot of the means ...
_38375715_aboard.jpg

The reason ..

_38375709_hole.jpg

-

In the words of Ray Charles What'd I Say ? ....

...Richard Schofield, an expert in international boundaries at King's College London, questioned whether the dispute would be eased if the Royal Navy released co-ordinates of where the sailors were seized.

"Releasing the co-ordinates wouldn't necessarily help us as there is no formally agreed boundary," he said.

"It isn't clear the incident happened off the water of Shatt al-Arab. We are talking about territorial waters beyond."

"Iran and Iraq have never agreed a boundary of their territorial waters. There is no legal definition of the boundary beyond the Shatt al-Arab."

That'll be one of AdamW's old clan at KCL ...
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/gsp07/staffinfo/728

Are we being taken for mushrooms once more?
:cool:

Fifteen hostages taken for being in the wrong place 14 guys and one woman i bet i know who was reading the map

namsag said:
Fifteen hostages taken for being in the wrong place 14 guys and one woman i bet i know who was reading the map
You dont mean........Thermo! :LOL:

I'll bet that due to cutbacks they were using a TomTOm SatNav with a map of the Thames Estuary installed, and some wazzok told them to improvise!!

Sponsored Links
Back