Over-polite drivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I was driving close to where I live, and three times I stopped for an oncoming car because there were cars parked at the side of the road. Each time I did this the driver coming the other way stopped to let me through AFTER I had stopped for them.
It didn't seem to matter which side of the road the parked cars were on or who had right of way, in fact on the last occassion a woman was driving uphill and the cars were parked on my side and I had no speed as I had just emerged from a junction so I stopped but then she stopped as well! Why can't these people just carry on driving when I have stopped for them?
Each time I went through as soon as I realised what they were doing but next time I'm going to sit there and wait, then just as they start to move I'll start to move at the same time, then when they see me moving and stop, I will stop as well etc etc. until we meet in the middle! :D

Sponsored Links
The worst bit is that you feel obliged to say 'thanks' -so they think they've done a good deed.

joe

Yes you're right, next time I'll get out and give them a good ticking off! :D

worse is the overpolite drivers infront who stop for everyone. few weeks ago he let 6 cars out in a 1/2 mile stretch. and he once hit the brakes when he saw a car come near a junction, even tho he wasnt even joining the road

Sponsored Links
The ones that bug me are where I'm trying to get onto, or over a more major road, or turn right off one, and I would need someone to give way to me if there was traffic, and some dork comes along with no-one behind him, and slows down so that I can do whatever.

Don't these people realise that if they just kept going it'd be quicker for me than having to wait to be sure that they have seen me, and are slowing down?

And quicker for them too. I just don't get it.

Had a chilling moment once - mini roundabout, driver coming the other way and turning right, so I gave way, as per the rules.

Cheery wave and a smile thankyou from the other driver, as if she didn't realise that she had right of way, and I thought "what if our positions had been reversed, and she hadn't realised that I had r-o-w?"

You'd be suprised how many drivers don't know how to use a roundabout, some people must think roundabouts are a new invention here.

andy said:
and he once hit the brakes when he saw a car come near a junction, even tho he wasnt even joining the road
andy, remember my accident? a guy who couldn't stop in time for the end of the road . . . ended up embedded in my engine bay? I am VERY cautious of people pulling up at road ends now. Especially at night. My dad did the above once, heavy braking when a car pulled up at the road end, at the junction where i had my crash, because we are all 5h1t scared when we use that road now. I never use it any more. :(

crafty1289 said:
andy said:
and he once hit the brakes when he saw a car come near a junction, even tho he wasnt even joining the road
andy, remember my accident? a guy who couldn't stop in time for the end of the road . . . ended up embedded in my engine bay? I am VERY cautious of people pulling up at road ends now. Especially at night. My dad did the above once, heavy braking when a car pulled up at the road end, at the junction where i had my crash, because we are all 5h1t scared when we use that road now. I never use it any more. :(

but this car was at very low speeds, pulling half onto the path

crafty1289
I do ......you posted pics of your car here didnt you ?

joe-90 said:
The worst bit is that you feel obliged to say 'thanks' -so they think they've done a good deed.
Er, no - if it's not my right of way I just sit there until they cave in and move, then I glare at them in the hope of discouraging them from EVER being an idiot the next time :)

Under-polite drivers are worse. When I was working in Suffolk I found local people in agricultural vehicles, on a single-track road, would storm past passing places in the expectation that I would reverse back to a more distant one and give them priority (they could see I was not born in the area and wasn't driving a 110 )

I found that if I reversed very slowly and cautiously they got bored with leaning on me and would tuck in.

Sponsored Links
Back