Shattered shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No-one in the room. The shower screen has been in place for 6-7 years, no cracks, no obvious stresses in the screen, and it just exploded. If there was no-one in the room how do I know it exploded...because of where I found the bits - in every inch of the bathroom and they had arrived there with enough force to bounce off the wall & ceiling to get inside things like the light fitting. There have been reports of this before, spontaneous shattering, but something to note is that toughened glass shatters into little crumbs which aren't dangerous - but it doesn't really, most of it does that but enough of it doesn't to be a safety hazard - I got cuts from tiny slivers cleaning it up, and if someone had been in the shower at the time they'd have lacerated their feet walking to get out not to mention the damage they'd have taken when those slivers were flying about. (An internet search showed cases of stitches needed for the cuts people have taken).
So - toughened glass has a tiny percentage failure rate I now know, it doesn't really all shatter into safe crumb sized lumps.
Wonder if laminated glass is safer....?

Sponsored Links
I had a shower screen shatter in mid air during installation. Had carried it upstairs with no issues. It didn't touch anything - just bang, cuts everywhere and scratches all over the newly installed bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back