shaver point spur

Sponsored Links
Thanks flameport,
so for a bathroom I'd need an FCU unless I can find one with a fuse that is bathroom suitable?

Sponsored Links
thanks TTC. I'd seen that one, but just trying to save fitting an FCU if I can get a bathroom suitable one with a fuse.

Here is the better MK version. You don't understand, you must only fit a shaver socket with an isolation transformer in a bathroom. You won't find an isolated version with a fuse, they are internally thermally protected and current limited anyway. You don't need an FCU if you supply the shaver socket from the lighting circuit, only if it is being fed from another circuit.

Although RCD protection is not required for the actual isolated shaver socket, it is very likely this will be required for the cables feeding it. Is an RCD fitted to the circuit you intend to extend? Depending on the existing wiring you may need to extend supplementary equipotential bonding to the new shaver socket as well.

Thanks Freddo. I was aware of the need for the shaver socket to have an isolation transformer for the bathroom, but not aware that I couldn't get a fused one, so thanks for saving me from a pointless search.

I'm actually extending a ring in an adjacent room to add a couple more sockets and thought I'd take the opportunity to fit the spur and get the shaver point in the bathroom, so I'll go down the FCU route (in the adjacent room) for the supply

That will be fine. Fit a 3 amp fuse in the FCU and put a lable on it if it isn't obvious what the FCU does, it will save someone scratching thier head when you have moved away. The notes about RCD protection and equipotential bonding still apply.

I'm actually extending a ring in an adjacent room to add a couple more sockets and thought I'd take the opportunity to fit the spur and get the shaver point in the bathroom, so I'll go down the FCU route (in the adjacent room) for the supply
You haven't responded to TTC's comment about 'bathroom zones'. How far will this shaver point be from a bath or shower? If less than 600mm it would be 'notifiable' work, and the only legal cost-effective approach would probably be to get a registered self-certifying electrician to install it (to notify it yourself could cost a hundred pounds or three).

Kind Regards, John

When did each OP have to respond to all replies ? It makes for a long night………..

DS

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back