Connecting a Shaving point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to install a shaver point in my bathroom. I understand I would need to have a shaver point with a transformer to put it in the bathroom.

The question really is can I make a spur from my switch for the boiler? This is situated in the airing cupboard. (Switch has a light to determine if its on or not). If so would i need to have this put into a fused switched unit or straight to the shaver point.

Cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
What circuit is the boiler spur fed off, and with how many cables of which size?

Do not connect the unit direct from the boiler supply, you need a switched fused unit with a 3 amp fuse fitted,

Connect your shaver unit which is isolated to say your lighting circuit and use a 3amp fuse in the fcu.

Hope you got your shaver unit fitted safely, forget the boiler and how many cables /thickness as suggested by another.

These shaver units do not draw current in amperes more like mA.

Shaver units also incorporate a safety fuse internally.

Are you still around mate. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Most boilers are fused at 3A in the FCU (or should be), whats the issue with taking the feed from here provided total load of boiler + shaver cct does not exceed 3A ?

Providing the boiler ckt is included in the supplementary eq. bonding arrangement and is from a 3A FCU, probably not that much of an issue. The legal side re. Part P notification may be an issue though.

Sorry not following the legal bit, why are the part p requirements any different in this case than any other work in a special location ?

CR@P design feeding it from the output of the spur - utter cr@p. What a ****e DIY install that would be.

Lectrician said:
c**p design feeding it from the output of the spur - utter c**p. What a s***te DIY install that would be.

Even worse if it was done on the say -so of professional advice

equitum said:
Sorry not following the legal bit, why are the part p requirements any different in this case than any other work in a special location ?
No different, only as a DIYer I doubt they are a member of a competent person scheme hence should go the building notification route i.e. notify LABC and pay their fee before starting work if they should wish to remain within the law.

I agree its not the best design or preferable over other options, but never the less was interested as to the reasons being stated for not using the boiler circuit, whether regulatory or otherwise.

Just a question on this old thread, if you connect to a lighting circuit (say at the ceiling rose), then where would place the 3amp switched fuse?

For info, the shaver socket intended for use uses a "safety overload cut out device"

You don't need to fuse down if coming off a lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back