Shaver socket for toothbrushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to for a shaver socket in the bathroom. It'll pretty much be exclusively for charging toothbrushes. I'm trying to get a handle on the current regs. Does it still need to be a standard transformer style shaver socket and are these OK for toothbrushes? I have read about some getting a bit warm. If its not necessary than I'd rather fit one without but will obviously comply if it is. Its going outside zone 2 ("zone 3"), but will be within 3m of a zone 1. Its going on lighting circuit which has a standard 30mA RCD if that makes any difference. If it does need a transformer are any better than others?

Sponsored Links
Does it still need to be a standard transformer style shaver socket
Yes, if it is within 3m horizontally of Zone 1. Always worth checking the Wiki first... ;)

and are these OK for toothbrushes?
Some are, some aren't.

upload_2018-7-11_10-39-49.png
upload_2018-7-11_10-40-28.png

They are all OK for toothbrushes. Some are not marked with a toothbrush symbol but that does not mean they can't be used. A toothbrush charger is such a low load the transformer won't overheat when used for a long time.

If your toothbrush is suitable for 100 to 240 volts (most are) use the 115 volt socket. This means don't buy the MK one (left hand picture) as the 115 volt socket won't take a UK shaver/toothbrush plug.

The reason for using the 115 volt socket is because these transformers have poor regulation and on low load such as chargers the the voltage rises to around 270v on the 230v output and 140v on the 115v output.

Sorry to hijack, but related... my current shaver socket (which I only use to charge my toothbrush) has a switch on it. Very handy, as it means I can leave the charger plugged in all the time and use it to hold the toothbrush, and turn on only when I need to charge.

But, not seeing any sockets with switches for sale (planning to build a new bathroom ...) . Are they no longer allowed? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Sponsored Links
... my current shaver socket (which I only use to charge my toothbrush) has a switch on it. Very handy, as it means I can leave the charger plugged in all the time and use it to hold the toothbrush, and turn on only when I need to charge. But, not seeing any sockets with switches for sale (planning to build a new bathroom ...) . Are they no longer allowed?
Switches are not allowed in Zone 2 (within 600 mm of a bath or shower).

However, I wonder if what you've got really is a shaver socket (with an isolating transformer) (which, as has been said, is what you must have within 3m of a bath or shower), since I don't recall ever having seen one.

Kind Regards, John

I'd say it was more than 60cm from the bath. Yes, there's a whole door + radiator before the wall where the switch it, so must be about 100cm

Well, it looks a lot like a shaver socket ... I'll take a photo when I get home.

Well, it looks a lot like a shaver socket ... I'll take a photo when I get home.
I must say that I'm still a bit doubtful, so I look forward to seeing a photo. Does it have a toothbrush symbol on it? Do you know roughly how old it is?

Kind Regards, John

Honestly no idea how old it is, I only moved into the house last year.
Will need to check re symbols. I'd bet it pre-dated modern electric toothbrushes though!

Late ‘70s/early ‘80s, after that the MK design changed to the same layout as available now.

Well, I'll keep hold of this then!

Well, I'll keep hold of this then!
:)

As I said, I don't recall having seen one with a switch, and I strongly suspect that few, if any, manufacturers would produce them, at least for the UK market, because the switch would restrict where they could be installed, which might be a particular problem in small bathrooms. Some of the current ones 'switch off' the supply when the plug is removed (so as to avoid wasting electricity etc.), but that would not help you.

I suppose that if someone had the same requirement/wish as you, but had to use a currently available shaver socket, they could control it with a separate switch (more than 600 mm from bath/shower), even if the shaver socket itself was in Zone 2.

Kind Regards, John

:)

As I said, I don't recall having seen one with a switch

You surprise me John. I'm sure you have been around as long as me and shaver sockets such as the MK one pictured and others with 110/240v switches were very common a few decades back. Maybe they don't conform now but if I had one it would stay under regs are not retrospective clause.

You surprise me John. I'm sure you have been around as long as me ...
What I actually meant was that I hadn't seen ones with a switch being 'available' (sold) for the last 30-40 years, or whatever. That's why I asked toe OP whether he knew roughly how old his one was.

Kind Regards, John

What I actually meant was that I hadn't seen ones with a switch being 'available' (sold) for the last 30-40 years, or whatever. That's why I asked toe OP whether he knew roughly how old his one was.

Kind Regards, John
Fair enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back