Shaver socket for toothbrushes

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My shaver socket...

mk_shaver.jpg

What did the regs say then about where such a device could be installed?

Even now something like that could easily be OK outside Zone 2.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is any "could" about it. It says that it has been designed for use in bathrooms, and that it has an isolated 'earth-free' output, so there's surely no doubt that it would be acceptable, today, so long as it was outside of Zone 2, is there?

What did the regs say then about where such a device could be installed?
Substantially similar to what they say now.

14th edition:
Shaver supply units to comply with BS 3052.
Switches inaccessible to a person using the bath or shower.

Socket outlets (other than shaver supply units) prohibited in bathrooms, and at least 2.5m from the shower for other rooms with a shower cubicle in them.

I don't think there is any "could" about it. It says that it has been designed for use in bathrooms, and that it has an isolated 'earth-free' output, so there's surely no doubt that it would be acceptable, today, so long as it was outside of Zone 2, is there?
I said "something like that".

That actual item is not a BS EN 61558-2-5 shaver socket.

"something like that" produced in recent times surely would be BS EN 61558-2-5 compliant? In fact, the BS 3052 one would very probably be compliant, although the absence of a crystal ball back then obviously precluded any such claim!

Aah, that is only 2 years younger than me.

Bathroom electrics really haven't kept pace with the increased use of bathroom-type accessories.
Shaver, toothbrush, water-flosser charger, hair dryer - all things you'd naturally want to use in the bathroom, and preferably not all on dangling wires over the sink.

Sockets in the rest of the house have changed over the years to reflect consumer requirements. Once we only had one socket in a sitting room, with numerous adaptors and trailing wires as people got more stuff. Then we had rows of double sockets in several locations. Now we have so much stuff it's ridiculous going on having more sockets, so we have fewer sockets but tower adaptors, incorporating anti-surge and lightning protection for hi-fi and computer equipment.

Things change - why not bathrooms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back