Shaver socket, just got buzzzzzed! Any help??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me and BTW please bear with me if my technical speak is wonky!!!

Electrician chased out a shaver socket and ran it off a spur on the lighting ring, but didn't get round to putting shaver socket in. Instead I was left with metal back box, earthed to box and in/out cables taped together.

He is coming back to fit front plate and did warn me that it was live. I got marker pen and wrote LIVE next to it as dad and wife are also helping renovate and I thought it was the wires that were live and certainly didnt want anyone to fiddle with them.

However, when filling the chase with hardwall today I think I touched the metal box and got a decent buzzzzz off it. Pretty sure I didn't touch the wires and was surprised that I could get a shock off the box.

Is this normal???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be getting a shock of the metal back box!
You shouldn't be filling the chase of live cables!
Your electrician should not have made the cable live and then left it!
It's possible that some of the plaster/filler that you was using splashed on to live terminal and back box and therefore made the metal live but I would then expect the safety devices to operate!

Thanks for the swift reply. Think I'll be locking the bathroom door until its all sorted then.

Wiring was behind trunking, so assumed I would be safe to fill in as long as I kept clear of wiring, and as no copper wire was actually exposed and I didn't intend on fiddling with back box or wiring thought I'd be OK.

Lesson learnt and on to spark first thing tomorrow!!!

I would be a bit worried about an electrician who would leave live wires also in a bathroom even the lights should be RCD protected so why did it not trip? I would be considering using a different electrician.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back