Shaver socket unit for mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been looking for a bathroom mirror with built in back light controlled by a sensor switch and ideally with a built in shaver socket. There are plenty to choose from, but none that are the correct size for the missus as she's decided she wants the mirror to be 5' x 3' (1.5m x 0.9m).

She has found the perfect sized mirror, but it is nothing more than a mirror and at that size, to get one that has built-in everything will cost hundreds of pounds, assuming they exist.

Unfortunately, I suggested I might be able to build one! Big mistake as she's now taken me up on that idea. I can easily source the LED strip lighting for the back light and I've also found sensor switches to drive the LED lights, however, I'm really struggling to find the "thin" module types of shaver sockets that you tend to see in the sides of mirrors. I assume these comprise of a fascia socket (I'm only interested in 230V, so only 2 holes, not 4), and a transformer.

Can anyone advise where I could purchase this type of shaver socket?

As a last resort I could potentially purchase the cheapest mirror with a built in shaver socket that I can find and remove the shaver socket form it.

Sponsored Links
If it’s going in a bathroom you must have a shaver socket that has a transformer, sorry but that’s the regs and is vitally important for your safety.
Mirrors that have “slim” sockets have a transformer built in as part of their construction.

You could deconstruct another mirror, but you must include the transformer as part of the new wiring. Easier to just have a separate, standard shaver socket, perhaps?

Can anyone advise where I could purchase this type of shaver socket?
They are not commonly sold in small amounts, as they are usually only purchased by manufacturers of bathroom furniture.

These are two manufacturers of them:
http://vysal.com/product/decorshave-shaver-sockets/
https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product...er-and-hinged-cover/000000f800004d6700010023/
you should be able to locate a suitable supplier either from those directly or by searching for the product codes.

Thanks for your responses.

If it’s going in a bathroom you must have a shaver socket that has a transformer, sorry but that’s the regs and is vitally important for your safety.
I do understand a transformer is required to lower the voltage, I did say that in my post:
I assume these comprise of a fascia socket (I'm only interested in 230V, so only 2 holes, not 4), and a transformer.

Easier to just have a separate, standard shaver socket, perhaps?

I have considered a separate shaver socket, the issue is space. By the time the 5' x 3' mirror is on the wall, there's no space for a socket as well!!! My wife helpfully suggested fitting it to the window reveal, but it is a little too far from the sink and it just "feels" like a strange place to have a shaver socket!

These are two manufacturers of them.

Thanks for the links, however these aren't really the types of sockets I need for the mirror as they are "too square" so would require the frame of the mirror to be quite wide to accommodate them. Here's a photo of the typical shaver socket that is fitted to the edge of a mirror, in fact this is the mirror I was considering purchasing to deconstruct:

Sponsored Links
I do understand a transformer is required to lower the voltage,
You do not understand then!.
It does not lower the voltage (except for the option of a 110V output for devices from the ex-colonies).
The transformer's output is the same as the input (230volts AC ish).
The purpose is to ISOLATE the supply from the load so to minimise the chance of electric shock.

Can you provide a link to the mirror you are planning to decontruct,.

You do not understand then!

Your correct, I wasn't aware that was the reason for using a transformer and incorrectly assumed it was to lower the voltage, which I now see would be pointless as the shaver requires 230 volts! However, I WAS aware that a transformer was required.

Here's the mirror I was looking at: Serena LED Illuminated Bathroom Mirror

There are probably a number of things I would need to consider if purchasing a mirror to deconstruct, such as which strip LED's I would use, to ensure the electronics in the donor mirror were compatible.

Here's an example of what the wife wants:

Korvus Backlit Mirror

At £239.99 it wouldn't be a bad price if it was the right size. This particular one is 1000mm wide x 600mm high x 55mm deep, however the wife needs it to be 1500mm wide x 900mm high, so quite a bit larger!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back