Shavers socket constant hum when unplugged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a shavers socket in my bathroom which has 110v and 240v sockets. It produces a humming noise all the time, when nothing is plugged. Please can you confirm this noise means electricity is being consumed? And if so, is it normal that a transformer consumes electricity without a source drawing from it?

Logic tells me that noise means movement (potentially some kind of magnetism vibrating something in its transfo) and movement comes at a cost of energy, but hope I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's using electricity, but it's a tiny amount.

Better shaver sockets only switch on when a plug is inserted.

If it is switched on with nothing plugged in the internal switch is faulty, possibly sticking.

Sponsored Links
It's using electricity, but it's a tiny amount.

Better shaver sockets only switch on when a plug is inserted.

If it consumes electricity without being used, it needs to go, especially as it will likely never be used. Thanks.

Although called shaver sockets and idea was shaving could be done in the bathroom, females seem to have seen them as a way not to have to carry their heavy cordless electric tooth brush into the bathroom, and use them for charging tooth brush, which means they are switched on 24/7 anyway.

Energy used would be very low, a lot less than cost to have it removed.

If you had an electric tooth brush earilier in your life, maybe you would have more teeth now. It’s what I’m hoping.

legrand shaver sockets have a switch in them to detect plug inserted, and then power on. I took one apart to check

shavers sockets , seem to now have Shavers Only & also units with a toothbrush icon on.
I would change it out , if noise.
I would have thought a DIY job to do. If you fill competent to unscrew the faceplate and the cable screws to replace.
maybe a photo

females seem to have seen them as a way not to have to carry their heavy cordless electric tooth brush into the bathroom, and use them for charging tooth brush

I use mine to for charging my electric tooth brush and have done since about 2006.

Op, has it always hummed when nothing is plugged into it or is it a recent problem?

As flameport implied, the cheaper ones do not appear to have internal switches.
Maybe, but I’ve not come across one. Last year I came across one that appeared to be permanently on. It was an Asian import and on investigating I found the switch contacts were jammed against the plastic moulding. A little adjustment with long nose pliers sorted it and it has been OK ever since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back