dying shaver socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shaver socket in my bathroom is very warm to the touch, plus it's not charging the electric toothbrush properly (charging light is bright as normal when first plugged in, but then dims to almost nothing within 2 or 3 seconds ... this doesn't happen if it's plugged into a normal socket via a shaver adapter).

I'm assuming the socket is knackered, but two questions before I replace it:
* Could the hot weather affect it? Any chance it will cool down when the weather does?
* It's mounted flush to the wall, but there's very little space inside the plasterboard cavity for the transformer, which looks like it's touching the back of the plasterboard in the next room (the section of wall in that room is very slightly warm to the touch, but not that you'd notice unless you were looking for it). Is this a problem, and could it have caused the transformer to be knackered?

Socket looks reasonably new - probably been there since just before I bought the place (about 3 years). How long should these things normally last?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hot weather wont affect it..They are designed to be flush mounted..reckon its faulty

Firstly that wall seems a little too thin, you should have a discernable gap left betweem tranny and other wall. In the box it is screwed into, has the back been cut out for it to be against that other wall? If not, clear away any lagging and make some space and drill a couple of holes into the box.
Transformers do get warm but they are designed to do that. Replace it with a good make.... Crabtree, MK, Tenby, Delta. Talk to the Wholesaler and insist you dont get foreign rubbish.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back