Shaving/Trimming off side of Oak Veneer Door

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The current door that I have is an LPD Carini 762mm x 2040mm

My existing doorframe is 762mm at the top and 755mm at the bottom so its about 7mm out. I also need to leave a 2-3mm gap inbetween which means I will have to roughly shave off about 10mm total.

I was thinking that the best way to do this would be to shave 5mm off each side to give me the right size. I spoke to LPD and even though they 'recommend 3mm' They said that you can go upto 5mm each side.

What is the best way to DIY this? would it be to use an electric planer?

Sponsored Links
I trimmed mine down using a track saw, barely needed a sand afterwards.

Ah thanks I don't have a track saw but I think I'm taking it to a timber merchant who said they can cut it for me. Do you mind if I asked what did you do once cut? Did you varnish/oil the newly cut sides for protection?

Thanks

By coincidence I think I have the same doors (7 panel?). Mine were the unfinished versions so I just gave the whole lot 3 coats of varnish (I think it's a water based version from Screwfix).

Sponsored Links
By coincidence I think I have the same doors (7 panel?). Mine were the unfinished versions so I just gave the whole lot 3 coats of varnish (I think it's a water based version from Screwfix).
Haha yes its the 7 panel one. I got the pre-finished so it was abit annoying to have to cut but i took it to my local timer merchant and they charged £12 to do the side cuts and to cut the bottom. Saved me alot of effort to be honest. just varnishing the sides now and then hopefully after 2 more coats they will be ready to hang. Thanks for the advice btw

Haha yes its the 7 panel one. I got the pre-finished so it was abit annoying to have to cut but i took it to my local timer merchant and they charged £12 to do the side cuts and to cut the bottom. Saved me alot of effort to be honest. just varnishing the sides now and then hopefully after 2 more coats they will be ready to hang. Thanks for the advice btw

Wow, that is a really good price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back