Shed 'awning' advice / ideas - apex roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed at the end of my garden. The front of the shed faces southeast.
This makes it warm in the winter, but unbearably hot in the summer.
I was hoping to install an awning over the winter to help with this. However, the roof is of an Apex profile facing forward.
This means I can't install an awning to block the sun out as the surface where I would attach it is not straight (apex profile...).
Not sure what else I could install to be retractable and be able to provide shade. Doesn't have to come down too far as the sun is pretty high by the time it hits the doors / windows of the shed.
Have tried Googling for inspiration with no success.
Any ideas, massively appreciated!

Sponsored Links
if you are talking through glass then somthing on the inside [i use bubble wrap] will hold the heat mostly at the glass
but through airfow with a mixture off closable vents at roof level and windows and you can open to allow through airflow
on my apex i have 2 triangular doors to allow timber to be loaded overhead but are great for allowing heat to escape at the heighest point

I was hoping to get something on the outside to stop sunlight from even getting in...

is it well insulated ??
if it is then through ventilation will greatly help along with holding heat on the glass
you could try a plastic reflective coating on the glass but that can stop you seeing out with lower light levels outside??

Sponsored Links
It is well insulated. 50mm Kingspan all around, except underfloor.
Windows don't open and I would prefer to keep door closed to keep noise coming in down to a minimum.
Perhaps the plastic reflective coating is a good idea as I don't mind too much about visibility out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back