Shed base advise please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all. I've got a job of installing electrics to a 5mx4m wooden building. This is currently sat on a 6mx8m concrete slab. You can see where the wood is damp due to just sitting on this slab with no dampproofing or shedbase. I'm concerned that all my work is going to wasted unless this structure is lifted and a proper shed base is built. What advise can I give to persuade owner to do something about this so it doesn't bite him later please. Tia Jack

Sponsored Links
You've been asked to wire it up do that, you could lose the job by introducing further problems you've not bring asked about.

Do your work get paid and give them advice about the shed when you've finished. Nothing wrong with that ........ your not wrong in your thinking however you could be over complicating it to your customer and they might think your trying tk gain extra work. Your not responsible for the work of others.

Thanks but it's for a local scout group so don't want them to go through loads of work and expense and it rots away ina few years.

Stop surface water flowing under the shed and provide air flow.

If the timbers are not tanalised, then they will rot quickly regardless.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks but it's for a local scout group so don't want them to go through loads of work and expense and it rots away ina few years.

Yes you are right. The shed needs isolating from the concrete

as its a bigger slab, rainwater will run across and pool in any low areas.

the shed needs raising and supporting on something rot proof -even some plastic spacers 12mm thick would do -or maybe given the base is 6m x 8m -it could easily be out of level by 20mm.

I set my cabin floor joists on top of upvc trims and glazing shims where needed to pack up.

Im not a fan of using a continuous DPC like one used for brickwork -I think it risks condensation.

Thanks for the replies, I'll pass on to the Scout Group.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back