Shed base larger than shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asking on behalf of a friend.

He inherited a quite new 10 x 8 shed from previous owner of the house and found that the concrete base is much larger than the shed. There is no guttering on shed. On top of adding guttering is there anything else that can be done to avoid future damage due to water bouncing off the base and damaging shed?

Finally any recommendations on any product to protect the wood. Sadolin gets few mentions on forum but personally I have never used it..

Ta

user_online.gif

Sponsored Links
Put the shed on bearers and use any good wood treatment.
Should last if treatment is regularly applied

Thanks for reolies. I I will try to get some photos and also passion msg re treatitr bearers
Ta

Sponsored Links
A lot of people just sit their sheds on concrete bases. As said above, they have to be raised about the ground so they don't draw up water and rot the wood. I put mine on railway sleepers so it is a good 12"-16" off the ground.

Concrete breeze blocks or bricks will also work to give some clearance underneath the shed. If left on the ground it will rot the base within 12months.

Cuprinol DucksBack is pretty good for protecting sawn wood outside, it's waxy so the water slides off easily. I've used it a few times and can vouch for it.

A few nice long planters each side to catch the water? Grow some toms.

I used Everbuild Triple action wood treatment on a shed and it seems to make it better. I recently sprayed the same stuff using a Draper pump sprayer (bought from Toolstation) and it was very effective. Tempted to spray shed again ... the sprayer makes the job very easy to do. Wear a mask, goggles, gloves etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back