Shed Base Treated Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I looking to to make an 8x6 timber shed base. the idea is that it will sit on the ground and I will use stakes to hold it in place. The question i have is what kind of wood should I use. I have decided on 3x2 but am unsure if just getting pressure treated 3x2 will be ok for it to sit directly on the ground. The 2 links below, one to wickes which says it cannot be in direct contact to the ground and one to B&q which says ok for all outdoor projects. Which one should I be going for? I dont want it rotting away after a couple of years? Many Thanks

http://www.diy.com/departments/timber-sawn-treated-t47mm-w75mm-l2400mm-pack-of-6/570349_BQ.prd

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Treated-Kiln-Dried-C16-Regularised-45x70x2400mm-Single/p/166401

Sponsored Links
Keep any shed base off the deck, and allow it to ventilate as much as possible......keeping any openings clear so you can rake the leaves out. Presumably you are using a concrete raft? Then help the thing if you can by allowing the roof overhang to cast water clear of the base, and use guttering to channel any rain clear.
Personally I'd go to a regular builders merchant to get the best pressure treated stuff, and the more extra preservative you can add will only help matters!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I must confess that's a new one on me.....for sure it would be vital to get the frame level in every plane, and then hope it stays there! Lets hope there isn't any rock below ground when the stakes are knocked in.
As before though, the more treatment the better and a membrane beneath the frame can't do any harm.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back