shed base what timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i would like to construct a base for an 8ft x 8ft shed out of timber, making an 8ft x 8ft square and running some supports across it in the opposite direction to the supports on the shed floor, can anyone see a problem with this please ?

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason you want to do it in timber? The wood will be in contact with the ground so the damp will rot it over time.

A shed base would be best done with a material that won't deteriorate quickly. Flags or concrete with a slight drain off really.

It's just easier, innot a brick layer, access is tricky to get concrete in there,I have done some decking so I know I would be able to build a level framework. And if it's tantalised it wouldn't rot would it? Thanks for the reply btw.

Sponsored Links
Wood will eventually rot, although you'll probably get a few years from it, depending on what the ground condition is like.

If you're not keen on flagging etc, have you thought about those plastic shed bases where you infill with gravel? They are interlocking plastic tiles and you put gravel over them. Not done one myself as i tend to always use flags, but it won't rot any time soon! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back