1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

shed base what timber

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by billozz, 12 Aug 2018 at 12:44 PM.

1. billozz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi all i would like to construct a base for an 8ft x 8ft shed out of timber, making an 8ft x 8ft square and running some supports across it in the opposite direction to the supports on the shed floor, can anyone see a problem with this please ?

2. acurachris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there a reason you want to do it in timber? The wood will be in contact with the ground so the damp will rot it over time.

A shed base would be best done with a material that won't deteriorate quickly. Flags or concrete with a slight drain off really.

3. billozz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's just easier, innot a brick layer, access is tricky to get concrete in there,I have done some decking so I know I would be able to build a level framework. And if it's tantalised it wouldn't rot would it? Thanks for the reply btw.

4. acurachris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wood will eventually rot, although you'll probably get a few years from it, depending on what the ground condition is like.

If you're not keen on flagging etc, have you thought about those plastic shed bases where you infill with gravel? They are interlocking plastic tiles and you put gravel over them. Not done one myself as i tend to always use flags, but it won't rot any time soon! (y)