Shed CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, regulars will know I fitted a CU in my shed a while back with an overall RCD.

I wish to fit an additional MCB (there are 2 spaces) for a freezer. Naturally I dont wish this to be RCD protected.

Would it be acceptable to use a 6mm red tail, extend from the top of the main RCD live to the feed the new MCB, then connect the circuit neutral to the RCD top neutral. Obviously I'd have to ensure the freezer is hard wired or with a round pin or a blue ceeform (mdbalson). :LOL:

And a bit of busbar would need to be hacked off too.

Would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
So when someone turns the RCD off, thinking that it isolates the entire shed, the freezer circuit is still live?

davelx said:
So when someone turns the RCD off, thinking that it isolates the entire shed, the freezer circuit is still live?

Wire the freezer via an FCU with a neon indicator to show there is power still there

davelx said:
I never thought about that. Smart idea as always Bernard.

I will also mark a warning near the main switch to the effect that the mainswitch does not isolate the freezer outlet. :)

Sponsored Links
I think it'd be bad practise to use a CEEform connector, such things are designed to be used in harsh enviroments, and if someone saw it they would likely presume it to be RCD protected. I'd stick with a 15a round pin.

I don't particulary like it, if I wanted to do it without swapping the CU for a split load board, then I'd swap the RCD for an isolator, and put the RCD in a separate two module box, between the sokcet outlet circuit and the breaker that feeds it.

I'd feed the freezer from a switched FCU and put it up high out the way, or do something using an mk grid keyswitch (you need to have some means of functional switching)

How about:
Change RCD for standard main switch
Replace cb that serves the sockets with an RCBO
Install new cb to serve freezer - mark its socket as not to be used for portable equip or wire the freezer to an FCU.

That way you get the protection on the sockets and a single switch for isolation.

Yes, RCBOs are the answer :)

You could invest in a S-type RCD for the whole shed, then when your freezer is next flooded or the goldfish gnaw the cable it will still go off.

JohnD said:
You could invest in a S-type RCD for the whole shed, then when your freezer is next flooded or the goldfish gnaw the cable it will still go off.
Did i include the shed on my floody photos? The water just came up to the boards, no higher! Phew that was more than lucky! :LOL:

And i'm not worried about more floods, we're not on a flood plain or anywhere near here. All that water come out of a manhole, and theres rumours afoot that yo'kshire waater are going to be replacing some rainwater drains and pumping stations after that chaos their dodgy plumbing caused. :LOL:

RF Lighting has very kindly offered to sell me a second hand mainswitch and RCBO :D

ah, if only you had MEM I could have offered :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back