SHED ---DISASTER STRIKES !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all...
just on the finishing touches re my shed...
Looked for a final check re building regs..having thought that i was ok..
Now discovered that they do apply if within 1mtr of a boundary, over 15 sqmtrs area and second re the use of non-cumbustable material---its a wooden shed !!!...i've nearly finished it !!!
Anyway , advice re the building control officer...never dealt with one
Spoke with one today who went through everytning , and i was ok until the 1mtr boundary rule and the fact its timber ...
There coming to get me...sorry see me ..... What peoples opinion of this transgretion....its well away from any other building , nestled in a corner

i can see me dismantling the bl.. thing and i was nearly finished !!

Sponsored Links
Bureaucratic codswallop especially if the boundary is delineated by a hedge - which is combustible material. Problem with town-hall regs (if they apply) is that they offer no discretion to cases where common sense would normally apply.

As far as I'm aware, the actual building regs state that small sheds within 1 metre of a boundary are exempt if they are mainly non-combustible. If they fail on the "mainly non-combustible" criteria then the inference is that approval will be required which is totally different from some jobsworth stating that the building is NOT permitted.

A thought :!:
I could move the shed ..its big but not impossible...20' x 10'...some scaffold poles under the floorboards and a few burly men ( don't know too many of them)..but for beer...it could be done...then it becomes an exempt building ???

Any thoughts re plan B

jACKRAE... sorry its not that small...i should have made it clearer...its 20x10 with a hieght of 2.5 on the ridge...and over the 15 sq mtrs allowed...sorry for not being clearer

Sponsored Links
WA, why the hell did you speak to a BCI, If you had kept quiet no one would have known you had built your shed.

Before you move it, have you considered applying for a relaxation of the relevant regulation?
If it's just a shed, and not too near any neighbouring building, you might just get a relaxation. There must be thousands of old timber-framed garages right up to common boundaries and which don't cause any problem.
The building regs are intended to save lives, not property, and the risk to life posed by your shed might actually be very small (unless you store explosives/paint thinners/petrol in it).

Hi guys ...sorry work kept me away...
I have only rung the BC ...no names etc...but worried as in about 6 mths i will be applying for full pp for a ground floor extension...had panic attack re them turning up for site visit and seeing my 'shed' in the garden...'whats that ' he say's...
Anyway...brothers are willing (although weather is not at the moment)..two days of hard graft to disassemble a bit and move it about 600mm....at least then it becomes an exempt building and i can relax !!!

Thanks guys...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back