Shed Electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to give my new shed a some electricity for a light, extractor fan, a couple of sockets not running much except maybe a heater.

We already have an external socket so we could take it from there? Would it be best to have and RCD and/or seperate fuse box.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
do a search on shed electrics above i`m sure you`ll find what your lookin for answer wise. ;)

myself i ran swa cable from my main consumer unit to a garage consumer unit etc.

I did do a search but it left me with a few questions, and not wanting to hijack several threads I thought I'd start a new one.

I am unable to run a cable straight from the main consumer unit, would a spur from an existing line be suitable?

I plan to use conduit rather than swa. I've purchased a garage consumer unit with RCD with specs that I think are suitable.

Sould an RCD be fitted at the 'house' end aswell as the 'shed' end?

headsortails said:
I did do a search but it left me with a few questions, and not wanting to hijack several threads I thought I'd start a new one.

I am unable to run a cable straight from the main consumer unit, would a spur from an existing line be suitable?

I plan to use conduit rather than swa. I've purchased a garage consumer unit with RCD with specs that I think are suitable.

Sould an RCD be fitted at the 'house' end aswell as the 'shed' end?
What power requirements do you have and which circuit are you thinking of connecting into? How are you wanting to run conduit, along a wall or underground? What type of conduit? What type of supply do you have i.e. TT, TN-S or TN-CS? Do you have any extraneous conductive parts in the garage? An RCD is not required at the house end if your installation is a TN. Are you aware of the law regarding this type of work (Part P)?

Sponsored Links
TT, TN-S or TN-CS, just check what this are, I belive it to be TN-S.

I plan to run a couple of lights, an extractor fan, possibly 2 100W tube heaters, and the occasional garden appliance.

The proposed spur what be from an existing ground floor socket line.

The shed is constructed wholey from wood.

The conduit will be run along the wall, and is 20mm heavy duty black PVC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back