Shed Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently moved into a house with existing electric to the shed

It appears to go from the kitchen, underground and then into the shed.

When it enters the shed it goes to an outside metal socket and then leads to a single bulb holder on the ceiling (but coming from the back of the double socket), which has a conventential outside metal switch inside the shed.

This all seems to be fed from the kitchen circuit, as when you switch the kitchen off at the RCBs the shed goes off as well.

My question is this :- Can I extend what is in the shed at all or have I got the maximum you can have. I was thinking of adding a new fuse board in the shed or just an extra couple of sockets and an extra light.

Can I do either of these with the existing wiring set up, or do they require a new feed direct back to the main fuse board in the house

Any help is appreciated

:eek:

Sponsored Links
hi,myself i would have a totaly seperate feed from anything else going to fuse box,and the sound of metal sockets makes me cringe.you might overpower if you keep adding to something thats already being used.

What type of cable from kitchen to shed, has it got earth? not unknown for garden tool cable to be used (2 core) How is it connected to power in kitchen?

Sponsored Links
What ever you do consider RCD type protection, external socket and the shed justify RCD.

Yes it is always a good idea to provide a separate and independent supply to the shed, but it is not always possible or practical. If you can than do it!

I suspect that this kind of work is notifiable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back