Shed electrics

Alternatively, be content in the knowledge that everyone reading this forum/thread knows exactly what you meant? P'raps, maybe?

Sponsored Links
He means this:

screenshot_1351.jpg

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

You should have used the time spent moaning to do some etymological research to find out what the root of "man" was in that context.
I know the answer to that without needing to do any research. However, that doesn't make me any happier talking about 'man-hours' in relation to a group of almost entirely female workers..

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, that doesn't make me any happier talking about 'man-hours' in relation to a group of almost entirely female workers..
It doesn't matter. That is the term.

If you must you could just say 'woman-hours' without any brackets.
Why did you not say 'workwomen instead of female workers?

You'll end up in the ludicrous situation where we now have Doctor Who played by a 'female actor'.
I can't wait for the backlash so we can have Miss Marple played by a 'male actress'.

After all, we're all members of the huperson race.

If you must you could just say 'woman-hours' without any brackets.
I could, and maybe would if I knew that I was dealing with a totally female group. However, the point of the brackets is that, at leat to my mind, it means "(man or woman)-hours", so appropriate when one has a mixture. Of course, the brackets only work when writing!
Why did you not say 'workwomen instead of female workers?
I suppose because "workwomen" is not a word which is used.
You'll end up in the ludicrous situation where we now have Doctor Who played by a 'female actor'.
I see nothing ludicrous about that. The "Dr Who" character is known to metamorphosise every year or two, and there are plenty of female doctors (whether medical or otherwise), so I see no reason why the character can't metamorphosise into a female (or is this 'female actor' going to be playing the part of a male Dr Who??)!
I can't wait for the backlash so we can have Miss Marple played by a 'male actress'.
I believe that pantomimes started playing that game a long time ago, not to mention the fact that, as I understand it, in the days of Shakespeare (and undoubtedly beyond) all characters were played my male actors, regardless of the gender of the character.

It must be nearly the weekend, if the Electrics UK forum is, yet again, changing into a "Words" one :)

Kind Regards, John

No, nothing wrong with a woman playing Doctor Who; it is the ludicrous term "female actor" which you apparently didn't realise.

You have already succumbed thinking it necessary to use "male actors".

From the main cu in the house, the one in the "meter cupboard" to shed. By shed/garage cu I mean something like this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-4-module-2-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/6947p excuse me if terminology is wrong

You don't need a CU in the shed then, and you certainly don't want a RCD there if the house CU already has one. Run the shed sockets as a ring on 2.5mm cable or a radial on 4mm cable. Lights from a switched FCU with a 5 amp fuse.

No, nothing wrong with a woman playing Doctor Who; it is the ludicrous term "female actor" which you apparently didn't realise.
I use/used that term only because it appears that a substantial proportion of the people in question no longer like to be called "actresses", I suppose because they feel that it makes it sound as if they are doing something (maybe an 'inferior something'?) different from their male counterparts.
You have already succumbed thinking it necessary to use "male actors".
I wouldn't say that I have succumbed to anything, other than perhaps the apparent wishes of those women who do acting. When they were all happy to be called actresses, there was no problem - we had actors and actresses, with no need to give any additional indication of gender. Now we have 'actors' of both genders, qualifying the term is the only way of avoiding uncertainty/ambiguity (in contexts in which that matters).

The weekend is seemingly getting closer!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Typo corrected

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment; along with the logic of 'person-days'. But you'd be struggling to convince me that 2 persons at 4.5 days is actually 10 days!:mrgreen:
Would you have the same inability to comprehend the situation if it had run into 5.5 days?

I use/used that term only because it appears that a substantial proportion of the people in question no longer like to be called "actresses",
That is exactly the problem.

I suppose because they feel that it makes it sound as if they are doing something (maybe an 'inferior something'?) different from their male counterparts.
If they, or you, think that, then that must be because they do feel they are inferior.
Calling woman by a masculine name will not alter that feeling.

I would say that I have succumbed to anything,
Did you mean wouldn't or something?

other than perhaps the apparent wishes of those women who do acting. When they were all happy to be called actresses, there was no problem - we had actors and actresses, with no need to give any additional indication of gender. Now we have 'actors' of both genders, qualifying the term is the only way of avoiding uncertainty/ambiguity (in contexts in which that matters).
Thinking that such ridiculous wishes should be pandered to is the problem.

I see the stupidity has already infiltrated the dictionary for actor but not so for actress.

That is exactly the problem.
I imagine that opinions will vary as to whether it is a problem. Whether one calls it 'PC' or whatever, there is an evolution in what words we find 'acceptable'. To cite just a few examples, I would hesitate to even mention the words that my grandparents, and to some extent my parents, used (quite 'acceptably' at the time) to describe homosexuals or people with dark skin, or those suffering from what we would now call cerebral palsy, hypothyroidism or 'learning difficulties'. Do you regard it as 'a problem' that those words are no longer acceptable?
Did you mean wouldn't or something?
Yes, I meant "wouldn't". Apologies - now corrected.

The weekend has sort-of come! I have (other!) things to do.

Kind Regards, John

That's not the point.

Actress is a perfectly good word, everyone knows what it means, and in no way derogatory or demeaning.

We may as well have female policemen.

I find your lax attitude mystifying, not to say worrying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back