Shed Felt advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to this lovely weather I've got to re felt my shed tbh I've been patching it up for a while. I've no idea how I'm going to do it as I can't get the left fascia off as the previous owner has put it up against the wall.

Any advice on what felt I should get? I've had a quick look on screwfix, Toolstation etc what's the difference between the cheaper mineral stuff vs the premium and is it worth paying extra?

Shed currently has 2 paving stones on to hold the felt down let's hope there still there in the morning.
IMG_20200825_203059.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’ve repaired lots for a Shed Co I subbue for , I always use the Green Mineral Type (from Wickes) with a 15 year ( I think ) life Span , it doesn’t tear like cheaper ones , I cut it with some Heavy duty scissors , then use a Stanley knife to trim same , costs about £30 for an 8m roll

like the old saying ‘Buy cheap buy twice ‘

cheers
Phil

Is that flashing tape between the wall and the felt on the left hand side?
If you remove that you may find there is a slight gap between the roof and the brick wall. You may be able to drive a wedge between the wall and the apex of the shed to allow you to push the new felt down into the gap. Nail the felt as close to the edge as you can. Do both sides of the roof in the same way. Remove the wedge from the apex and drive it back in further down between the brickwork and the new felt on both sides so you can lay your top sheet of felt over the ridge in the same manner and nail as close to the edge as possible. Once the felt is all nailed down securely remove the wedges and replace the flashing tape.

I recently replaced the felt on my roof shed. The roof was T&G but for a smooth finish I overboarded it with 9mm ply and used felt adhesive to stick the felt on with. I bought the decent quality felt.

Sponsored Links
Is that flashing tape between the wall and the felt on the left hand side?
If you remove that you may find there is a slight gap between the roof and the brick wall. You may be able to drive a wedge between the wall and the apex of the shed to allow you to push the new felt down into the gap. Nail the felt as close to the edge as you can. Do both sides of the roof in the same way. Remove the wedge from the apex and drive it back in further down between the brickwork and the new felt on both sides so you can lay your top sheet of felt over the ridge in the same manner and nail as close to the edge as possible. Once the felt is all nailed down securely remove the wedges and replace the flashing tape.
Trouble is there isn't enough room down the left side I'm going to empty the shed and try and move it over slightly with my dad's help, if that doesn't work I'm stuck.

If we can move the shed I might turn it round it'll make future repairs alot easier.

Last edited:
You won't turn around in that space between both houses. You will need to bring it forward into a wider open area.
Doable if you have the manpower and can get around the back to push it, preferably onto something flat like some sheets of plywood or a level patio surface rather than on to grass. Obviously you need to remove everything from inside as even when empty they can weigh quite a bit.
Let us know how you get on.

You won't turn around in that space between both houses. You will need to bring it forward into a wider open area.
Doable if you have the manpower and can get around the back to push it, preferably onto something flat like some sheets of plywood or a level patio surface rather than on to grass. Obviously you need to remove everything from inside as even when empty they can weigh quite a bit.
Let us know how you get on.
Managed to move it forward enough for us to get a ladder either side. Thought about turning it sideways but I don't fancy having to move the arbour as well so it's staying where it is.

Anyway we got the roof off and then it tipped it down so it's covered up atm hoping it's not raining tomorrow.

I used EPDM rubber to redo our shed roof this year, scraped the remains of felt off and stuck the rubber straight on. It came with a roller and pot of adhesive. It’s supposed to have a 50 year warranty (I won’t care if it lasts 30 years as I’ll be long moved by then)

Managed to get the new felt on today just got to put the fascia back on 2mos hoping it stays dry as I'm going to paint the back of the shed now I can get to it.

One question we've used 2 pieces of felt the first piece at the back and it went 1/4 to the front part of the roof, we then did the front with the 2nd part and used adhesive on the top 1/4 way down on the back all the videos I've seen they've used a 3rd piece over the middle my dad says it isn't necessary as the 2 pieces are covering all the roof. Is it worth adding the 3rd piece?

Normally crowned with the third piece , a couple of lengths of Tile Battening from top to bottom either side helps to ensure that high winds do not rip the felt off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back