Shed footings next to tree!!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am starting to build my workshop at the top of the garden and there is a big sycamore tree 1 metre from where I plan to build it. It is a 4.8 x 3.6 metre wooden structure usind 4x2" walls and 8x2" floor. This is going to rest on 5 walls 3 courses high built on footings about a foot deep.

I am just a bit concerened about the close proximity to the tree andd the effect any roots could have on the footings.

Is it going to be Ok to build here? If I have to cut away any roots will this weaken the tree? And, is it not going to matter as much being a wooden structure (as opposed to a brick structure)?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A sycamore tree is well down the BRE list of dangerous trees so I wouldn't worry too much, especially with a timber structure.
Just make sure you give it plenty of water to keep it happy.

If it's a big tree like you say you can expect the ground to move about over time- especially when you consider the sort of weather variations we've had in recent years. 1 metre is very close indeed. Don't be surprised if your footings crack.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I think even if there is some kind of movement to the footings or cracking it shouldn't effect the the timber much. I might just put in some steel mesh to reinforce the footings though. Should be safe then.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back