Shed for a gym....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to the end of my tether with paying £38 a month for the use of a few weights at my local gym and i'm looking into alternatives at home. I already have all the weight equipment that i need, but i need a room to use.

I think that a medium sized shed (7f x 7ft) will be enough for what i need, but my question is to do with preparing it for use.

What would the best method of insulating a standard garden shed for this kind of use? As it will be used as a gym, heating is not needed!

Also, the cheaper the better, as i figure it should be paying for itself so to speak, as soon as possible!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I don't understand why you want to insulate the shed as it's cool in winter ?& very hot in summer!!
Is it to reduce the heat in the summer?

it'll get very warm in the summer if you insulate it. i'd just wear an extra pair of socks in the winter!

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to me, 6 months gym membership and i'll be saving money! That'll be a good way of persuading the wife that its a good idea!!

You won't need extra layers in the winter,the shed will feel v.small with your weights in,maybe abit claustaphobic. P aint the inside white or build your own...Concrete base, Chipboard floor on joists then fence panels for sides (2 x 6ft) each side, & fencel panels for apex roof with some felting& a bit of framework you can achieve a good sized shed for under £100

7ft x 7 ft you havent realy thought about this have you

i recon 8x10 is probably the minimum size

take all the stuff you intend to use in the shed and place it in 6ft8" x6ft 8" box marked on the floor

and keep in mind small sheds are less than 6ft high at the sides they only reach any height in the centre :D ;)

you may have to custom build something.

as said sheds are only tall in the middle, but i was also thinking what if you dropped a weight?

I use a pre-fab garage as a gym, and its only just enough room. Got a treadmill, weight bench and rowing machine, which leaves a bit of room in one corner for free weights. Well..that was how it worked originally. I bought a motorbike since then so now the treadmill doesnt fit lol

I use a pre-fab garage as a gym, and its only just enough room. Got a treadmill, weight bench and rowing machine, which leaves a bit of room in one corner for free weights. Well..that was how it worked originally. I bought a motorbike since then so now the treadmill doesnt fit lol

You won't get fit on a motorbike, have you seen the size of most bikers arses? :LOL:

I think i intended reinforcing the floor in the event of a weight drop! I don't want treadmills or anything, it will just be a weight bench in there, you can do most training with dumbells and a bench.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back