Shed internal wiring

syl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have someone coming to connect up my sheds, once I've dug the trenches and laid the cable/conduit. Internally I'm just having a couple of sockets and a light fitting in each. Everything will be RCD protected in a small CU in each shed (two circuits).

What's best:

Metalclad or plastic sockets
Surface clipped cable, plastic or metal trunking
Better to have the sockets wired horizontally, or with cable dropped down from the eaves?

I do have half a dozen (new, unused) plastic sockets already from a previous project so would probably prefer to use those if they're adequate.

The sheds are storage areas, not workshops.

Sponsored Links
I always use MK metalclad in garages etc as they are just better - it only takes something falling over in the shed to smash a plastic socket (more likely to break the plastic back box) and you've gotta replace it

I would also go with PVC conduit - if you have the tools to use steel conduit then by all means feel free but chances are you're better off with PVC

third option is a personal choice - if it's in conduit it doesn't really matter. You can only use PVC singles in conduit if the entire run is in conduit, if it's only part conduit you will have to use T+E / a suitable flexble cable such as YY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back