Shed lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built a shed and have a 6mm armoured cable running to a consumer unit in the shed.
I now want to add 4 lights, two on the left and two on the right, on a double switch, working individually (left and right) the consumer unit is one end and the switch will be the opposite.

So I basically want to run two cables from the consumer unit, to two lights then on the left and right then to the same double switch.

I have 1.5mm twin and earth. Is it just a case of one cable both sides going in and out of the lights and continuing?

Any advice/diagrams would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have recently built a shed and have a 6mm armoured cable running to a consumer unit in the shed.
Did you apply for Building Regulations approval for that?

If so, what did you say, or allow building control to assume by default, would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P?

What tests have you carried out on the submain so far?

Do you know what tests you should carry out on the installation in the shed - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

You see I really, really, REALLY don't think that someone who has to ask questions like these:

I have 1.5mm twin and earth. Is it just a case of one cable both sides going in and out of the lights and continuing?

Any advice/diagrams would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks
Should even think about trying to install submains and consumer units and new final circuits, as they shout very loudly that you do not have anywhere near the level of competence needed.

Do you even need a CU in the shed? What supplies the cable to it?

Please get an electrician.

At what point did I say I was making any connections? All of that is / has been carried out by an electrician. I mearly wanted clarity as to what cables needed dropping where so the ceiling can be boarded. Thank you for your reply none the less.

Sponsored Links
You did not say, either, that the ceiling - in a shed - must be boarded prematurely.

Last edited:
At what point did I say I was making any connections?
Here:
So I basically want to run two cables from the consumer unit, to two lights then on the left and right then to the same double switch.

All of that is / has been carried out by an electrician.
Then let him carry on. You see there's the issue of the declaration on the EIC (with my emphasis):

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

If you do the design, and you install the cables, how can you expect the electrician to say he did those things? A particular problem regarding certifying Building Regulations compliance.

I mearly wanted clarity as to what cables needed dropping where so the ceiling can be boarded.
Speak to your electrician.

Yes I want to run the cables to the location of the consumer unit, not connect them.
What was discussed was running twin and earth from the board, to the first light. Then a triple and earth to the second light, to carry the switched live, then a twin and earth to the switch.
I will clarify when he returns from abroad, it's got me out of plying the ceiling this weekend anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back