Shed supply - quick sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm running a supply to a shed direct from the CU.

I'm unsure on either 4mm SWA or Hituff (not keen on the stuff).

Shed is 40m away from the house and it will be for just lighting and maybe a hand drill/ lawn mower. (subject to local RCD etc).

To err on the side of caution (cable will be exposed in places unless I dig up the garden) I'm thinking SWA. Am I over specking it at 4mm?

Sponsored Links
seems to be sheds week again this week?

anyway..

heard of part P?
no?
go look it up in the WIKI..
after that, contact your local building control authority and send them a cheque for about £200ish... then they'll come and tell you you have to bury it, and after you have they'll come and test it for you ( and try to charge you extra for doing it. don't let them, it's included in the £200ish you pay them )

or you can save yourself the hassle and get a part P registered electrician in to do it for you..

4mm SWA burried 600mm deep, laid on 4 inch bed of sand, covered with another 4 inches of sand, covered with warning tape and then topped up with dirt, terminated porperly at both ends..
NOT fed off the back of a socket, must be straight from the fusebooard.

Bit more detail required.

From CU using 4mm T+E to suitable plastic box on outside of existing garage wall. Terminate to 4mm (SWA or Hituf - that's the question), running 50m to shed where it will be terminated in the same method as mentioned to the dedicated shed CU, running 1 light and 2/3 single sockets.

I'm unsure on the size of cable/ SWA/ Hituf (and the lads at work aren't helping much!)

Coljacks advice is spot on.

The 4mm SWA will be sufficient for what you are planning.

You will need to know how to terminate the SWA properly and as coljack says, it will need T&I&C and is notafiable to LABC.

To be honest you would be better paying a registered sparky or you'll end up paying out nearly twice as much as you need to.

Sponsored Links
how much detail do you want?

I told you what cable size and type to use ( didn't check the volt drop though... ) and how deep to bury it, how much sand to put under and over it, and that you have to terminate it properly ( don't forget to use the banjo's and earth the sheath ) and that it should run straight back to the CU ( the fewer joints in it the less the probability of failure and the less connections you have to check )

if you want exact details then post a surveyors drawing of your property accurate to the milimeter and I will draw you a fraking cable route on it to miss all the stones for you :rolleyes: :evil:

I was adding the details from my point of view - not implying that I didn't appreciate your answer.

how much detail do you want?

I told you what cable size and type to use ( didn't check the volt drop though... ) and how deep to bury it, how much sand to put under and over it, and that you have to terminate it properly ( don't forget to use the banjo's and earth the sheath ) and that it should run straight back to the CU ( the fewer joints in it the less the probability of failure and the less connections you have to check )

if you want exact details then post a surveyors drawing of your property accurate to the milimeter and I will draw you a fraking cable route on it to miss all the stones for you :rolleyes: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back