shed wall framing - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building a 6m x 2.5m shed which is supported on concrete blocks as the ground is very unlevel. I have completed the base on 8"x2" for the perimeter and then 4"x2" for the joists across at 400mm centers approx., with 18mm wbp ply for the floor.

Now I want to build the walls, I would like to use 4"x2" timber for this, then clad in 12mm ply sheets and then finish off with loglap on the outside probably. But I am torturing myself with a simple part and need some advice.

How far apart should I do my uprights (I was thinking of cost but I do not want to skimp, I prefer quality every time). I was thinking 600mm centers being perfect since it is not a floor but a wall and will have ply and cladding on it but if I do this then the 4"x2" wont pick up the sheet joins correctly ie depending which way I go with my sheets they are either 2440mm or 1220mm, (400mm centers seem too close and over the top on timber), so what would you suggest is best?

Secondly can you see any reason to decide which way to fit my ply sheets, ie horizontal or vertical, I was thinking vertical is best because the wall heights are 7' 6" and the 8' sheets could be used whole and overhang to cover the 8"x2" perimeter joists, but I wondered if they should go the other way for some reason, perhaps due to something to do with the spacing of the uprights in my question above?

As you can see I am building a very strong large shed/workshop.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would hunt around and get 2400x1200 sheets and go for 600ctrs will make plaster boarding easier if you are going down that route, or go for 610ctrs if you already have the sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back